Farrowing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by SpringCreek, Jun 12, 2006.

1. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Active Member

My Tamworth gilt farrowed last Thursday. I counted eight live piglets when she was finished. There were two that weren't alive for unknown reasons (I was at work when she farrowed.) Sunday morning I found one more dead piglet. This wasn't one of the eight--it was a new one. Is it typical for them to have additional piglets 48 hours after farrowing? She passed the afterbirth Thursday evening, so I thought she was finished.

Regards,
    Erich

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Is it possible the piglet was there beneath bedding or otherwise hidden? I've not experienced anything like you describe in any of my litters. If she retained one it is possible she has retained more and may become toxic from the decaying piglets. I don't have experience in this however. I hope someone else can help you.

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we have had sows deliver pigs up to 3 days after farrowing. yes, it is normal. They are usually dead though.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Although I've never had it happen in one of my sows, it isn't uncommon and as Buck has said, they are usually born dead. I wouldn't worry about it but keep an eye out for any vaginal discharge or lethargy, depression and loss of appetite in the sow. They will tell you that something isn't right.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Active Member

Thanks, all--it's reassuring to know this isn't abnormal. My sow is actually doing fine. She eats well, is very attentive to her litter, and acts her usual self.

Erich