Homesteading Forum banner
2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  HillsOfSWVA 
#1 ·
Here is some pictures of my farrowing gilt. I've read alot of different posts on here and got alot of different advice from it all which I really appreciate. I'm curious what you guys and gals think about my pig. She is very young, accidentally got pregnant during her first heat. She is not bagging up or dropping milk but she looks like a loaf of bread underneath and her teats are pointing out. Mammory glands have gotten much bigger but still no milk. Her vulva has swelled significantly over the last couple weeks and gotten much darker. She has made a big nest, and has been busy chewing hay, tail twitching for a while too. I read that she may have discharge prior to actual farrowing and that her breathing will increase significantly. Is there any other info that I can pick from the group that would tell me a little more or put me at ease? I am worried because the boar is a bigger pig and because she is so young. I don't wanted her to crush em or eat them! I want to be there when she farrows but I'm staying away as much as I can.. checking on her every 3-6 hrs or so..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not have a large amount of experience in pigs but the experience I do have does not suggest that your gilt is bred or at least not close to farrowing. The lip is not tilted to indicate a heavy uterus. She does not have much of a milk line from the angle that I can see. The vulva looks like my gilts did the day we sent them off to fair at 8 months old. They were not bred but just a matter of their age.

Have you raised pigs before or is this your first time having a gilt that is maturing in age?

#3 ·
This is our first time breeding. We raised 5 feeder hogs last year and kept these 2 for breeding. Her thingy was pointed up for a long time but in the last few weeks it has basically been parallel with the ground, not up or down really. I read that it will do that as farrowing nears. Her belly has 2 milk lines now, which have grown in the last few weeks too. She isn't bagging but her belly does look like an upside down loaf of bread and teats are pointed out now.

#4 ·
You might try posting a new post in the swine forum. My experiences are limited. I had a Pot Bellied Pig farrow once and she barely counted as PBPs are not quite the same as the regular commercial varieties. About 8-10 years ago I had a Yorkshire gilt farrow and I dont remember that one hardly at all. All I really know is from reading others posts. I just remember each teat being very puckered up and milk dripping when it came time to farrow and the vulva sides were as thick/swollen as my thumb.

Reactions: HillsOfSWVA
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.