FarmTek not honoring catalog price

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Day before yesterday I received a sale catalog from FarmTek. Prices good till July 22. I found several items I needed and called to check on shipping since it was nowhere on the catalog or web site. Guess what? Item in catalog advertised 119$ is now 139$, item in catalod advertised 139$ is now 159$.

Do they do this all the time? I expect that a stated sale price should still be the price and NOT go up that much if at all. Needless to say, I did not order from them. I also will not be doing business with this company in future.

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Did you ask them why the prices were so different? I'd be pretty ticked!

3. Cyngbaeld

He didn't seem to know. He was just going to charge me the higher price and I called him on it. Refused to honor the sale price. Can't do business like that and expect to keep customers. I just told him no, I'd get my merchandise elsewhere.

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I would contact the BBB and make a complaint. They are usually really fast getting to the offending company for their side of the story. Unless the catalogue says anything like they reserve the right to change prices, or prices subject to change without notice, or that it's a limited supply, I am pretty sure they HAVE to honor or that is fraudulent advertising. Bait and switch IS illegal.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

The BBB is fairly impotent IMHO. They have limited follow-through, and hey, do you really think you'll get good service from a company forced to honor their ads? Plus ads are often printed wrong and corrected with a statement in the next flyer/newspaper, etc. Until then, many folks are reeled in and buy anyhow. the best remedy is to pass the word far and wide, which you are doing via the internet.

Thanks for the heads-up. I got that catalog too and set it aside for a friend. It is going in the trash now.

6. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I "was" going to place an order ... the catalog just went in the trash!

7. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

You can get the shipping off the website. Just have to put all the items in your basket them start the checkout proceedure. You can cancel before you get to the end and it will not be ordered. They also have a place to enter the catalog number so you get the sale discounts. I've never had problem getting the sale price over the advertised price on the website.

Did you give him the catolag number over the phone?

8. Oldotaku

Oldotaku Member

Hmmm, this worries me. I was seriously looking at the prefab houses on pg. 11 of the catalog, and at $24K for a 3bd 1ba ranch home kit, it sounded like a good deal. The "retail" price for it is $39k, which is too much. Well, Dyersville isn't too far away, maybe I'll visit before actually doing anything.
    The Oldotaku

9. Cyngbaeld

Yes

10. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

Farm Tek loves there buildings so much that they plaster a big
    sign, on the side of the structure, with there name and phone number on it.
    (approx 14" x12" white with black lettering)
    Complained but it fell on deaf ears. Pictures in catalog did not show there advertisement when we bought it. Heat gun was the answer to removing it
    but it did take our time.

Hope they don't read this or they will probably sew it on.

11. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

I placed an order about a month ago and they added the $20 onto my order claiming that the item was made of steel and steel prices fluctuate. The other 2 items were charged at catalog prices....I really needed the steel and have no other source for it so I went along with the additional $20. I imagine the catalogs will eventually just hit the trash can on the way in from the mailbox as I seldom "need" anything that I can't find elsewhere.
    As far as the shipping goes it said on the website that the computer searches for the cheapest way to ship your order when it is placed. I had no problem with the carrier they chose and feel I got a decent price on the shipping.

12. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for bumping this thread to the top, Emily.

I was hunting for it over at CF; I could not remember Cyngbaeld was the poster.

Anyway, I saw this article in my CNN mail:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/06/01/internet.shopping.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Most American consumers don't realize Internet merchants and even traditional retailers sometimes charge different prices to different customers for the same products, according to a new survey.........

Check it out, if you are interested. According to the article, we are the "bottom feeders" of the economy!

13. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Well, here's a positive plug for Farm-Tek. We ordered a 24x26 garage/barn that was on sale, got the correct sale price, good shipping price and were satisfied with it. Only had one problem - they left the second box off the truck. I called, they gave me no hassle whatsoever and a few days later I came home to find it sitting neatly in the driveway.

I would not have any problems doing business with them in the future.

14. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I have ordered from farm trek before and everything was correct.I only ordered the black ground cover and I got it on sale and they had the correct sale price on it. However, the shipping price was more than the product.Needless to say, I haven't ordered from them since.Thanks cyngbald for the warning about farm trek.I was leary about ordering more expensive things from them. I have used their pipe frames ideas with the cattle panels.
    my husband cut some truck bed liners and used those for the sides and we also put the liners on the top of the frame. Works great and costs us nothing :) .
    We use their ideas and other materials to make the same thing at less costs. Save the magazines for ideas :)
    tnborn

15. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

page 2 of my catalog -- says they reserve the right to change prices -- cant blame em too much -- you ought to see what semi rates are right now with the fuel surcharges added in! Fuel killing all of us but the politicians!

16. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I was curious, so I got out my FarmTek catalog and compared the prices in the catalog (which says prices are good until 6/30/05) with their website, and there are many differences, sometimes as much as $35.00 on the items I was looking at. Even if you reserve the right to change prices, which is understandable, I think it's good business practice to honor the prices you quote for the period you're quoting them for. It builds distrust when you pull a switcheroo.

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

That must be what happened to me.Looking for low priced dishwasher,Best Buy has best price.This was late at night.All our stores had them in stock.Continued to search.Checked many sources,no one beat BB.

Next morning went on site for Best Buy to verify which store was closest,and had em in stock.NOT A SINGLE STORE had them,somehow in the middle of the night they ALL sold out?EVERY STORE!!!

Bet they pulled that very stunt on me,we sure couldnt figure out how they all managed to sell out in the middle of the night.This wasnt an advertised sale either,just a site search under 'dishwashers.'

BooBoo

18. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Okay all you aspiring computer gurus. Here's the new niche market. "Better Buying Profilers"!

Offer a subscription service where for only $14.95 per year, you can provide your clients with just the right set of cookies to get them the lowest prices at places like Amazon.com or Costco. That would frost 'em. :haha:

19. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

It's called Froogle.com. Sorry, but it was a good idea.

We asked for a Farm Tek catalog a few years back. In the closeout section they had 6X8' double wall polycarbonate to make sunrooms or greenhouses. It was a good price and I called to order. She said since it was my first order, I got 12 pairs of gloves, a big cooler, and free shipping. The lexan came on a semi and took a forklift to unload, and shipping was free. Since then I've ordered some hog waterers and little stuff and never had a complaint, but nothing big again.

20. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmm. I've been doing business with Farmtek since those two young men opened the business. I have NEVER had a problem of any kind. Maybe you should calm down and rethink the whole deal for "human error".