Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back story first, my father grew up in Lithuania (a small Eastern European country) on a farm for the first 18 years of his life. He and my mother escaped to America when they were 18 where my father joined the military to get citizenship. He spoke Russian so of course they wanted him! Well when he retired when I was 6, he got a job in Washington DC for the government and my siblings and I grew up in DC. Like many other, he fell into the rat race and forgot about his love for the outdoors. Well, we moved to Colorado five years ago and it has all been rekindled.
My fiancee and I own 4.3 acres and are planning on doing our own sustainable farming in which my father wants to help and be part of. Well, there is a 10 acre property that is for sale only about 15 minutes away from our home. He is interested in purchasing the property for his retirement and have myself farm the land. Obviously 4 acres is not enough for all we want to do!
Has anyone ever farmed on property away from their home? I work from home for my fiance's business, so there would be no issue of getting there or not being available to manage them. Also I have a fully rigged Jeep Wrangler, so adverse weather would be no issue! Any advice or forewarning about doing such an endeavor? We would have livestock and some food plots (in theory)
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
That's just a stones throw. People do it all the time. Actually the farmer next place down from me has 3 different pastures, two are within three to five minutes away, one is at least 30 minutes away, all have cattle on them. He also farms a couple fields somewhat close to the far pasture, and about 3000 acres in our general area.

Yeah, you should be fine.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
That's just a stones throw. People do it all the time. Actually the farmer next place down from me has 3 different pastures, two are within three to five minutes away, one is at least 30 minutes away, all have cattle on them. He also farms a couple fields somewhat close to the far pasture, and about 3000 acres in our general area.

Yeah, you should be fine.
Thinking the same use to farm rented properties all over the county. Worse ever happen had kids burn down one Barn but wouldn't matter if it was just down the road or miles away.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Go for it!

·
Rock On
166 Posts
Maybe I can add something b/c I just tried this.

Our remote land (27acres 1/2 wood 1/2 field) is family land i'm slowly taking over as my father ages. The land we have now is all wooded and i thought that the more fieldy environment would be more conducive to annual grain crops leading to on a food forest edible crop. I thought I could farm over their and make money and keep our homestead for more of stuff for us.

So all this spring /early summer I worked over there on the remote farm land (20mins) . I had ideas that my wifey and kids would be camping their a lot with me. What ended happining is a lot of traveling ..loosing crops to birds . .wear and tear on vehicle. ..it just takes so much time to go back and forth! The energy costs such as gas add up to make it a not very profitable endeavor time away from family makes it a lonesome worksite. I just sold my car and am focusing with the land I got. Maybe that way I can have the money to buy and keep and eye on the plants our family needs :D

I'm stilling going to work said land but it will be different then I had originally thought. More in line with Pine tree/Blueberry/Rasberry u pick but has been lowered a bit on the priority list.

Instead i'm tunring my focus to our home 14 acres of all wood and our earthberm. Its paid for, has tons of resources for land shaping. allows myself to live a much lower energy lifestyle. I'm noticing that its enough to keep me busy for a WHILE!! I think even 4 acres if fully utilized would provide years of learning that could be used if a new property was needed.
Good Luck.
jeff

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
You can do it. I did with 2 houses and the V. land. Dh worked 2 full time jobs while I fixed the 2 houses and tended the animals on the Vacent land.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Depends on the use.
Crops, hay, obviously no problem.
Vegetables require a good fence or deer will have them, and a water source.

Cattle, also no problem, though this is 1-2 cows worth of pasture at best. If there is good surface water, it's fire and forget. Some check cattle as little as once a week. Some check less than that, but this is pretty irresponsible.
Sheep - you will need a good guard animal and an enclosed defensible area or they will vanish to predation. Figure on daily checks.
Goats you may never see again after you drive away, the sneaky pests! I hate goats.

I would go for it. Around here we all have loose land scattered about. You haven't lived until you've driven a swather 20 miles to cut hay on a far flung quarter... yay

However my standard warning is... you didn't mention water.
Water availability can make or break a piece of land. Before you get too excited, look for surface or spring water. Otherwise, plan on big $$ for a well or dugout and a means of pumping it. Know about local water tables as well or after drilling you may come up dry in both water and wallet. You can haul water from your home yard but it gets old extremely fast and costs surprising amounts of fuel.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Not ideal, but certainly not impossible. It's good to have good neighbors at the property you won't live at so they can call you about trespassers on the property or livestock getting out (or even better taking care of those situations for you..but it will get old for them if it happens often). Also post signs with your phone number if you will have livestock there.

·
On my way home
1,167 Posts
We've been farming our land 2 hours away for over 10 years. We raise grass-fed cattle and goats on it. Sheep didn't work out too well. We sold 5 acres off the back of it to a minister of a church there and his boys come over and check on things for us. Worked so far

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
What an interesting story you and your father have, Alexz!

There is another option. Depending on water/power availability - what about selling your property and moving to the 10 acre plot? Would there be enough room to build dwellings for your father as well as you and your fiance? You would be close enough that you could keep an eye on each other as he ages, and with more than twice as much land, perhaps there will be enough to raise enough food for both families.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I live across the road from a beef farm. The owner lives 8 miles up the road! He houses a lot of his equipment on the piece of property as well. They own thousands of acres around us and use it for crops and beef. He was also my teacher in junior high and his wife works so I have no idea when they sleep but they make it work and have been doing it for over 40 years. You can do it if you can make the time. :)

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
15 minutes. Most people drive longer then that for work. As long as you don't have to be running equipment back & forth daily I don't see the problem.

Reactions: Buffy in Dallas

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
It works, but as people say....

Time. You will be there, so won't get anything done on yor 4 acres. You forget to put the shovel in the jeep, and spend all day driving instead or working. It takes real time management.

Pick your crops carefully. Put stuff that is more bulk, self-caring, harvest once, over there. You or dad want fruit trees, plant there, won't need too much attention for several years but watering in dry weeks. Plant cucumbers and strawberries at home, where they need to be picked for many weeks every day.

Livestock can pasture well if you have a dependable water source. You don't want chickens over there they need egg collecting and predator watching and so - a bigger grazing animal behind a strong fence you only have to check once a day, less fuss. Birthing time can be a problem, and if you are milking well ugh.... You can set this up as a pasture for quiet times, and have the birthing and milking stock at home maybe. Lots to think about with livestock, it needs to be simple and low tech hands off when remote like this, critters that aren't stolen, are not escape artists, deal with predators themselves, and don't need much attention.

Theft - this can be a problem in a remote deal, can you leave tools, shovel, crops there without being stolen or 4 wheelers driven through..... This depends on neighbors and location and how you get along with people there so,what.

These are your issues.

If you can work these 4 things out then it works.

Mostly you will find you lose a whole lot more time with the half hour round trip, as you can't multitask - if it takes 20 minutes to fill a stock tank, you drive over fill the tank come home you just used up an hour and a half somehow and all you got done was some watering....if at home you turn on the hose, do some other stuff, and turn off th hose that 20 minute job only used 5 minutes of your time. This is just an example, but time side is going to be the thing that hits you harder than you realize.

Paul

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Is your dad going to be living on the 2nd piece of property? Either way I say go for it. Time management and type of animal or crop is the big issues.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I helped do some seasonal work in Indiana for a row crop farmer in Indiana. He farms about 55000 acres from as far south as madisonville Kentucky to almost Chicago Illinois so basically it depends how bad you want it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts