Farmers Market or Ripoff?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by swollen tongue, Jul 30, 2006.

1. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

I decided to sell my extra produce at the local farmers market today. What a shock I got!! You need an insurance policy or waiver, make out a 14 page application for approval to do it, booth costs $350. for the season or pro-rated, etc. is this standard practice now a-days or what? If it is, this country is going to - - - -.

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Not in AR takes a one page info sheet and an inspection to make sure your in fact growing the stuff you sell. than a $5 fee, I think this year they raised it to $50 to cover the gas costs of getting to your place to take pictures. Then you give %6 of sales but they provide the boxes and bags and lots of advertising.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

A 14 page application is a bit much but the rest is reasonable if this is a well established market. If it's a small market that's a lot of money. The market as a whole probably has to have liability insurance. There might be a fee for the space they're using. That insurance doesn't cover you or your products, only the market. The $350 helps pay for the insurance policy, expenses and hopefully advertising. For less than I made at market in one week I had a place to set up, established customers, good exposure, networking with other farmers and the rest of the benefits of belonging to the market.

4. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

Wow! We have a fairly busy market that has been around for thirty some years and the fee if you pay on a daily (Sat) basis is 15.00 with a one time membership fee of 30.00. You can chose to pay for a season space which is 200.00 but that is optional.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

At the busy down town market, the fee is $500 and there is a waiting list.

At the local (small) market, the fee is $5 if and when you set up a booth.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

seems like a percentage of your sales like they do at the fayetteville market is a lot more fairer to the people like me just starting out if ya think about it my total sales were only around $400 at that market last year. But I sold a lot at their smaller tuesday market since they really needed vendors to come then most only want to go to the big sat market. I sold about all I brought though need to grow a lot more next time. I guess those people selling 55k worth would like the $300 fee for the year but like I said seems more fair to have the percentage, those people have established their customers and it is harder for me to get a foot in the door unless I have items they dont people will buy from them. Oh by the way it is all collected in an envelope by the honor system and seems to be working fine.

7. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Here's a link to OSU-OKC farmer's market.
    OSU-OKC Farmers Market

I wish I could go there more often, but with my work schedule, it's hard to do and it's only a mile down the road. :Bawling:
    Will