Farmer's lung

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DreamingBig, Dec 2, 2004.

1. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Truth is over the years along with my smoking for 20 years.I've sucked in so much grain,mineral,and chemical dust from Farm related work,I should be very dead.But who knows that might have something to do with my health be so messed up now. :confused:

Don't know always a possibility.

big rockpile

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

An excellent page! Thanks for posting it.
    Everyone needs to read it.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I know a guy who developed an allergy to barley after years of working with it as crops. Now he gets hives when it gets on his skin.

I got very ill after cleaning out the chicken barn one year. I think it was chlamydia (NOT the STD variety!). It took a good month to start to feel decent again. Now I tie my shirt over my face or wear a painters mask when I clean up the litter.

I think what they are referring too would come after working in a LOT of dust, probably more than most of us are exposed too. I have been inside silos and bings cleaning out old moldy feed and never had a problem...yet.

Jena

5. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Is this the same as histoplasmosis? I contracted histoplasmosis as a teen from cleaning out a hayloft of dusty hay and pulverized bird droppings.

It was treated like bronchitis (repeatedly) then as the cough and other problems continued I was tested for TB and finally had a patch test for histoplasmosis. I got hives from teh patch test -- apparently that counted as positive!

Since then I have learned to especially avoid moldy hay. Over the years I've had a lot of bouts of bronchitis, and one round of pneumonia.

I just have to be wise about avoiding moldy dusty hay, and not let a cold go into bronchitis and maybe pneumonia again.

Nothing else (knock on wood) seems to set me off. Although we have barley straw this year.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to watch it with some of the hay and straw we got in this year.

Ann

6. DreamingBig

7. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

aspergilosis? often caused by moldy hay, though more often seen in birds than mammals.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We do a website for "newbies" which covers raising chickens and sheep. For several months now I've been meaning to put something on there about wearing breathing protection when cleaning the coop, or handling particularly dry and dusty hay... a kid getting very sick from airborne fecal material is both possible, and not funny.

I know that last year I too noticed that I had trouble breathing while cleaning out the coop. Then I stepped out of the coop and looked in. The air was THICK with material. We decided to wet the bedding down and then move it. Made for a much heavier chore, but probably a much safer one as well.

9. DreamingBig

MC I love your website! And the brown sheep with the snowy nose is too cute!

10. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

When I was sick the doctor called it "farmer's lung" and said everyone in the Midwest would probably test positive via the patch test they used on me.

Big however ... this was almost 30 years ago and it seems like knowlege keeps marching on.

At any rate, no fun. I seem to have bronchitis right now :no:

Ann

11. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Isn't she the best? And doesn't it figure that I've never been able to get a cuter shot of a sheep?

The best "cute sheep shot" though goes to http://www.mainesheepfarm.com for their lamb Katie. Isn't she a ticket?

T