Farmers Almanac Question about dehorning a calf

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TimandPatti, Jun 22, 2005.

1. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

My neighbor, a sweet elderly man wanted to know when it's the right time to dehorn a calf. He said he had to know the right time to do it according to the Almanac.
    I had no idea but told him I would post here. I know with all the great member's here, someone must know the answer.

Thanks!!

2. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

DH dehorns the calves when they are pretty small -- when you can just feel enough of the horn button. The vet does it, burns them off.

We found an easier way -- start raising polled cattle :D Some Holsteins are polled but most are not. We are getting more and more beef heifers and like to get polled ones. (Whether or not they are polled is an inherited trait -- polled means no horns)

As far as what the Almanac says, I wouldn't worry about it, I would go by the size of the calves and when it is convenient to work on them.

Ann

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd also go by the size of the calf and its horns. But old-timers want to know when the phase of the moon is right. My parents would never think of planting anything if the Almanac didn't say the time was right. You can usually pick one up at the local feed store.
    mary

4. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the Old Farmer's Almanac online: http://www.almanac.com/astrology/index.php

They don't have dehorning but I would assume it's the same time as castrating. That's June 24-25.
    I've been reading Poor Will's Alamanac in Countryside for the last year and it has been exactly right on the days I'll have problems with the goats, the weather etc. Simple fact is they're based on hundred's of years of experience. :)

5. palani

palani Well-Known Member

6. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Oh for goodness sakes! That's just silly! I guess it's good I read mine online or in Countryside. :)

7. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have several older relatives that swear by the almanac and planting during the full moon or dark of the moon or when Jupiter is near Uranus or whatever. It's all bunk in my book. I did a science fair project in school where i planted different plants according to moon phases, the almanac and whatnot and there was zero difference in the plants, their overall mass, their fruits etc. Won me 3rd place by the way.

I had a cousin who wouldn't put up fence posts unless it was a certain moon phase. I don't think it did much good since all of his fences looked a bit crooked to me. He also believed that you cow would give bloody milk if you used a sharp knife in the butter dish. or somethig to that effect.

One thing I have observed is that all things being equal with weather and conditions the solunar tables in field and stream really do seem to indicate when fish will be more active. I have no idea as to why but I have noticed a definite difference when I was fishing on a nearly daily basis. All of that was trumped by weather conditions however. It seems that it may play some very small part in the lives of fish. I didn't notice it so much with game animals however.

9. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

The proper time to dehorn a calf?

I thought you were supposed to do it in the fall, when the sap is flowing down.

or maybe I'm the sap.

10. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Many farmers rely on an almanac to determine what date to work their cattle. Most carry the tradition on from observing their parents and grandparents checking the almanac.

The full version of The Old Farmers Almanac is not on line, but I can assure you that it is in the paper version of the almanac. I'll try to remember to look at our library copy when working on Saturday if the answer has not been posted by then.

About the targeting of people with almanacs, did you happen to notice the date of the article? It was clear back in 2003. I expect that they have figured out by this time that people carrying almanacs are not threats, then again, what do I know?

11. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I've never been around a farmer that had a copy of the almanac. The only one in my family who reads it is my DB who is an engineer who lives in teh city. My grandma used to have a calendar that had "the sign" on the dates but haven't seen one of those in a long time. We never paid any attention to it, other than that it was picturesque.

Ann