Farmall H with 12ft disk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by brosil, Oct 5, 2004.

1. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometime back I posted the question about whether a Farmall H would pull a 12ft. disk. Well, it works. True, I do have to run in first gear at high rpm but it's doing it. When I get some more money, I hope to move down to an 8 ft. disk as that will be easier on the tractor but for now, I'm getting by.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Either that or move up to an M Farmall. Have you pulled it on fresh plowed ground yet. They pull a lot easier on hard ground like weeds or cornstalk fields.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, I'd consider looking for the M, it might be cheaper - everyone seems to want a little disk these days & bids them up to a fortune, and the worn out ones one finds needs $800 of blades & repairs.....

A disk does a little better with a little speed to it, like 3rd or 4th. Throws more, does a better job.

As the other pesron said, be real careful in spring - disks usually take about 2 times the power/ traction in soft spring dirt as they take in fall. At least, be prepared for that.

Glad it is doing something for you, have fun. :)

--->Paul

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Take some of the outside disc blades off. You will need to get some worn out disc blades to cut down for spacers to replace the blades you remove.