Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shall try not to get this one deleted. I'm wondering how women do it? Yesterday we were switching out the implement on the tractor and I simply did not have the body strength to pull one of the levers, my DH had to do it. I've also needed him to help me get a waterer in place and other things. It got me thinking about how other women do it when they just are not physically strong enough to do what has to be done.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
You said it! I do it all myself and a lot of things I am simply not strong enough to do. But I still try. I cry a lot : ( Take a lot of breaks, drink a lot of hot tea : ) Yesterday I took down a hay rack that was very heavy and awkward. And hung it in a different stall. I used baling twine to raise it in place little by little and hold it while I worked. Sometimes you have to come up with a way of being in two places at one time or having two pairs of hands instead of one. I also use my two wheel dolly a lot to move heavy things. I have moved sacks of feed and even railroad ties with it.
Mostly I wish I knew more about keeping small engines running.

This pic is posted in the goat forum too. But here's the hay rack I made and moved yesterday. It was very heavy and today I can't move an inch without hurting. But doesn't it look great ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You think ahead as to what you can manage. You use ramps or steps where you need them, you use ropes and pulleys if necessary, or a little red wagon or a sled. If you have horses you use them to move heavy stuff. When I had donkeys I’d have them move the hay from one end of the pasture to the other. Men use gadgets for heavy things, so can you. You can also hire help. If you were running a serious farm you would have help with no apologies.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You said it! I do it all myself and a lot of things I am simply not strong enough to do. But I still try. I cry a lot : ( Take a lot of breaks, drink a lot of hot tea : ) Yesterday I took down a hay rack that was very heavy and awkward. And hung it in a different stall. I used baling twine to raise it in place little by little and hold it while I worked. Sometimes you have to come up with a way of being in two places at one time or having two pairs of hands instead of one. I also use my two wheel dolly a lot to move heavy things. I have moved sacks of feed and even railroad ties with it.
Mostly I wish I knew more about keeping small engines running.
I suppose if I had no choice I'd figure things out. I whacked my finger good trying to hammer that lever out and was crying up a storm over it before DH came and made me go away.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I too wonder even how guys do it. I don't think hooking up the pto can be good for guys backs. I did hear that one woman who had a large farm had a tractor for every implement that required a pto. YIKES!!! I do understand. There is no way I can hook one up on the small tractor let alone the big one.

Answer is to work smarter not harder. go back and review the laws of physics and the tools used to combat that ie lever and fulcrum for lifting etc. and I love the over head crane and the tractor bucket for lifting as well.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I shouldn't even venture to join this discussion since I'm about a minus ten on a zero to ten scale of strength, but I do have some options to toss out for consideration. Trailrider's use of a dolly is a good one. I'd be lost without the dollies. Planning ahead is a good tactic too. Saves the strength for things you can do. Don't be afraid or apologetic in asking for help. Don't attempt things that will injure you. The resulting medical bills will add insult to injury. Carry a cellphone on yourself. Stay hydrated and drink more water than you think you need. Wear protective clothing/footwear. Plan smart and work smart and get rid of things that don't work for you. It's the only way to reduce the stress.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Answer is to work smarter not harder. go back and review the laws of physics and the tools used to combat that ie lever and fulcrum for lifting etc. and I love the over head crane and the tractor bucket for lifting as well.
This man move TONS and TONS at a time with a little thinking and physics.. He moved a massive metal building all by himself in this video..

[YOUTUBE]pCvx5gSnfW4[/YOUTUBE]

Even us guys come up on things we just aren't physically strong enough to do, but we do all we can to find a different way to do it... Creative thinking often times is better for a big job than brute force..

I have issues at times with PTO couplers... I've made a fork kind of like a ball joint separator that will help get off a stuck coupler without a lot of work..

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shouldn't even venture to join this discussion since I'm about a minus ten on a zero to ten scale of strength, but I do have some options to toss out for consideration. Trailrider's use of a dolly is a good one. I'd be lost without the dollies. Planning ahead is a good tactic too. Saves the strength for things you can do. Don't be afraid or apologetic in asking for help. Don't attempt things that will injure you. The resulting medical bills will add insult to injury. Carry a cellphone on yourself. Stay hydrated and drink more water than you think you need. Wear protective clothing/footwear. Plan smart and work smart and get rid of things that don't work for you. It's the only way to reduce the stress.
The worst part is when it all goes to crap I can't even get the wine bottle open to forget it all! lol

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I am so glad you asked this! I had come on here to ask the same thing! Over the last four days we have had two huge trees fall and a huge limb break off twenty feet up and hang there! dh does the heavy lifting and I run the tractor. We have a large one and a small one. I feel comfortable on the small one but the big one scares the devil out of me when the front end lifts .. He was raised on a farm and knows how to make the equipment to what he wants. He will try to talk me thru it .. and yesterday after pulling down the limb sang dragging it to the wood pile, he said: you have to learn how to do this stuff or how will you mange when I am gone!. It broke my heart , but I have no idea how I will mange a huge tree that is lying over the drive , one end 15feet in the air supported by its limbs and the root ball stick up even higher???I watch in amazement at him cut it and stack the huge logs... At 5'2" , 60+ yrs. old am I able to run his huge bow saw... NO .. So I will have to hire someone to do it... which here cost 100's of $$

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Two ways to open wine with no strength required...

[YOUTUBE]1WjowvT0xlI[/YOUTUBE]

More complicated, BUT, a very cool old school way..

[YOUTUBE]YcqVwMvGQtU[/YOUTUBE]

Reactions: hercsmama

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am so glad you asked this! I had come on here to ask the same thing! Over the last four days we have had two huge trees fall and a huge limb break off twenty feet up and hang there! dh does the heavy lifting and I run the tractor. We have a large one and a small one. I feel comfortable on the small one but the big one scares the devil out of me when the front end lifts .. He was raised on a farm and knows how to make the equipment to what he wants. He will try to talk me thru it .. and yesterday after pulling down the limb sang dragging it to the wood pile, he said: you have to learn how to do this stuff or how will you mange when I am gone!. It broke my heart , but I have no idea how I will mange a huge tree that is lying over the drive , one end 15feet in the air supported by its limbs and the root ball stick up even higher???I watch in amazement at him cut it and stack the huge logs... At 5'2" , 60+ yrs. old am I able to run his huge bow saw... NO .. So I will have to hire someone to do it... which here cost 100's of $$
Easy fix, become a Cougar and date younger. :p AHAHAHAHAHHA

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
Modify your expectations. Sometime you will fail or can't do it (or afford to hire it done). Then you must modify your plans. A large tree falls in your driveway....you can't lift it, roll it, etc. Maybe you will just have to move the drive way (easier to do if it's dirt and not asphalt ;)) and drive around the dang log.

Master simple machine....find a way to work them into everything you need to do. Pick up every pulley, rope, tire chock, jack, etc you find at rummage sale, garage sales, and the like.

Make friends with older teen and early 20 year old boys. My parents live in a college town 80 min away. They have "teams" renting each house on either side of them....wrestling team on one side and something on the other. Every fall she goes over with a plate of cookies and introduces herself. The Sophmore, Jr and Sr boys already know her (and her cookies) so she's only new to the freshmen. Then as she needs this that or the other thing lifted, dug, pulled.....she knocks on the door and sees if anyone can help. Someone always does (not always the same guy). Anytime someone helps in any way....a plate of some sort of goodie will show up (sometimes she has it in hand when looking for a helper). They all just call my folks grandma and grandpa.....the boys have even been known to come over and ask them for advice!

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
The worst part is when it all goes to crap I can't even get the wine bottle open to forget it all! lol
Too funny! On Saturday I couldn't get my mower to start. I tried everything : ( So I did the next best thing.....hauled my rocking chair off the porch out into the yard under a tree and opened a bottle of my homemade mead! I soon forgot about mowing....what yard?

Wendy you are so lucky to have young strong men in your household!

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
They do it the same way the men do it: seek out mechanical advantage. IOW, when the muscles and braun fail, apply the brain muscle to succeed.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
I had a job yesterday that absolutely required 2 people. Not so much heavy as just plain bulky. I assembled a plastic outdoor storage box, 150 gallon size IIRC. Looking back I could have put it together in the spot where I was going to set it so I didn't have to move the assembled product. But ds was nearby so I got him to help.

The problem comes when you absolutely need that second pair or even a third pair of hands. I am fortunate that I do have help. They may not like the way I do things and there are times they saw a better way (please don't tell them I said that). In cases requiring more people you have little choice but getting more people. (there might be a way to do it by yourself but by then I'm frustrated and just can't see it)

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Farm women - how?
I wish i could answer that for you, but i have had no success farming women.
Don't know if I'm planting them too deep or not watering them enough....... :D

Sorry, I just had to.
I've heard if you sprinkle diamonds. chocolate and goats on your soil you'll get a great yield!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts