Farm trucks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dieselfreak, Jan 4, 2006.

1. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

How many of you have farm trucks?? By farm truck I mean a truck that you just use for farm work, hauling hay, loading wood, hauling grain and all that good stuff. What kind of trucks do you have and what do you use them for.

2. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

We have a '71 Chevy one ton flat bed we bought for $500, running well. We used it to wood so far. It is a gas guzzler, but we don't have to go far for wood. We'll use if for clean up and hauling in the spring. We had the insurance stopped on it because it will stay "on the farm" so to speak.

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Bresias- I hear you!!! We have a 1974 Chevy flat bed 1 ton dump with removable sides. Hauls firewood, hay & straw, grain, stone, 16' cattle panels, you name it. Runs like a champ!
    We have Ag plates on it and it's insured as a farm vehicle, within a 50 mile radius.

4. outsideman1

outsideman1 Well-Known Member

i have an 82 toyota that i bought for 400 dollars acouple of years ago , it does everything around here

5. Grovers2

Grovers2 Well-Known Member

DH & I just bought a 1 ton Ford with 9 ft dump box. Right now we are using it to haul hay for the horses. Come spring when we move it will be asked to do just about everything from helping us move to hauling gravel, lumber, etc. She's a diesel, so the milage is pretty much the same empty or loaded.

Jodi

6. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

WOW! grin. Ya'll have some cool trucks. We've got a '81 red chevy stepside that we use for everything on the ranch. Cleaning fenceline, cutting firewood, building fence, fixing barns, etc....just everything. We put out hay with the tractor, but anything that's dirty and not tractor friendly, we use the chevy. We also have a Blazer that we bought to haul the trailer (and make it up the driveway when everything else gets stuck), but we also use it to run to town. But if we didnt have it we'd be done for cause the auction is too far to use the chevy, as is most of the places I buy most of my goats.

7. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

Wow. Wish I had a one ton. I have a 94 chevy 1500 4wd, does everything i could ever ask. Shes got the 4.10 rear end so it gets up and goes better than would be expected from a half ton.

8. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

$500 1985 GMC. drove it from CT to GA with a car in tow.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have a 1981 ford f 100 with 3/4 ton springs. bought it ten years ago for $700. i use it occasionally for trash and firewood etc. i keep it registered and insured as i drive it and technically have no farm. i thought of changing status for myself and the truck. it is really beat up now. it needs help. the carb drains gas so i have to manually fuel it to start it. if i do not, the battery will die everytime. if i run it every two days it is ok.

i use this thing as a tool, anything goes. it has been a shed, a garden with berries growing in the back in a pile of woodchips. (it takes two years for berries to fruit so the wood mulch musta been there for awhile. it has been a battering ram for hung up trees.

if it was a chevy, i would care for it a little better but i could only afford a used ford and not a used chevy.

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

'84 F250 4wd. Started life I think as a diesel. Then somebody stuck an old worn out car 460 in it when I bought it. 4mpg and pain to start, so didnt get used often. This past year I put an old 300 I-6 in it. Mileage above 10mpg now and can idle up the driveway in 4wd and low gear. I like it much better now. Mostly use it to get firewood and haul occasional big stuff. Rough old truck. Pain in rear to swap insurance around. Not going to pay insurance on 3rd vehicle that doesnt get used real often, so when I want to use it, have to play musical chairs with insurance and license plates. Dont know why the insurance people cant get it through their thick skulls that I am only one person and cant drive more than one vehicle at a time.

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have a 4900 series International that I bought for $8k from a salvage sale and reconstructed. DT turbo 466 engine, 24,000 miles flat bed dump now, (was a box). I use it to pull a trailer to haul farm/forestry machinery from place to place.

12. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

well if you want to keep your road truck from getting torn up, you have to have a farm truck. and it helps to have a four wheel drive. i once got a truck stuck with one rear wheel in a puddle of water that leaked out of an irrigation pipe. it had not rained in months. the other wheel was on bone dry soil. that was not a good year.

13. sgrmtndrone

sgrmtndrone Well-Known Member

I have 2 both are 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodges . The first one I got has never been plated for road use by me it is a 85 ram with a 318 and used only on the farm .I ripped the drive shaft out a couple weeks ago :flame: and have not fixed it yet . My other one is road leagel but hardly ever leaves the farm . It drinks to much gas and demands hi octane to run well . It is a 77 powerwagon (former military ) with a 440 engine ( out of a 68 model factory was a 360 and is on a stand in the shop )the 440 has a holly 750 double pump carb . Rv cam & accell points system ( this one will live through a emp ) hooker headers and a 3'' exhaust It gets 8 to 10 mile a gallon loaded or empty But talk about a powerhouse ! Ok I am still a kid at heart :p

14. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

I use a 1962 VW single cab truck as a mostly farm truck. It isn't much to look at, but it is a 1 ton, is really narrow, has a tight turning radius, has a 5 by 9 bed, all 3 sides drop down, it gets over 20 mpg and it is geared such that if it had the right tires, it could drive straight up a tree. I do like to brag about it. It is basically a world war two military vehicle.

15. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

300 I-6's rock!

16. michiganfarmer

a positive traction rear differential will make all the difference in the world

17. michiganfarmer

I have a 97 4x4 F250 Power Stroke. I bought it for a daily driver, and a snow plow truck. With fuel prices, and 15 MPG it just sits most of the time. Now I use it to plow snow, haul firewood, and in the summer to haul hay. On occasion I bring it to my business to carry home lumber I have scavanged from the wood dumpster that the builder next door has.

18. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

I have an 89 F250 4 wheel drive with a 7.3 liter. Its great when it runs. I bought it cheap, had a budget to fix it up, went over budget. Now things are breaking down a second time (transfer case this week!!).

I'm looking at a 98 F150 with a six cylinder. Anyone tried to pull with these things? Is it the same motor as the 300 six I had in my 79 f150? They pretty reliable (the one I'm looking at has 126000 on it).

19. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

We have several. One's an E-350 box truck waiting for a new rear end. It's good for hauling miscellaneous stuff you don't want to get wet. There's an 86 4x4 F600 I plan to convert to a dump. There's also a 74 International Loadstar with a dump and a 70? Cabover International with a 20' flatbed for hauling hay.

I'd like to have a 1 ton, but I've found I can buy a heavier truck for less money most times.

20. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

And I wouldn't use it for much other than hauling stuff!