Farm stuff on ebay

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I am continually amazed by how much people get for farm stuff on ebay. Poultry equipment is really one area that stands out. I have seen people get more than the new price for used equipment...and people bidding up a storm to pay too much for it!

Why is that?

It drives me nuts because I'm always looking for a bargain and don't mind used equipment, but it's sure hard to come by with all these people buying it for more than it costs new!

Jena

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Old saying: Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Try looking for listings incorrectly listed. Such as variations of chicken (e.g., checken - chickin) and similar.

I monitor blacksmithing tools. Prices sometimes amaze me. Have seen one item sell very high and the next one just like it go for cheap.

Ken Scharabok

3. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I've been going to auctions about every sat. and stuff there, I mean junk brings sometimes the price of new. Can't believe some of these bidders. They must get caught up in the bidding war is all I can figure.

4. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

A publishing company I just left does trade outs with manufacturers they do business with, then sells the items on ebay. I dont think its very ethical and they never get a very good price from their stuff, it always makes me wonder if its really worth it for them. I guess it could be a hidden income stream. I have seen them sell some stuff for far more than its value. They had a '02 pickup on there listed with its miles etc, then put on there '03 list price $$$$$$$ amount, and the beginning amount at that price... I dont know if they ever sold it but it sure made me shake my head. I am sure lots of people looked at that and didnt catch that they were listing the year newer list price and not the year old list price. The next thing they tried doing is selling a bunch of the farm toys they traded for to employees at inflated prices. Some people actually bought the stuff. :no:

People do get caught up in the moment but they also buy without knowing value. If they have the money and they see what they want they will bid until they get it. Kind of the Barnum quote all over again about being a sucker born every day. People are really something and it sometimes makes me feel like there are a whole lot of spoiled "want it now and I want that one" people out there.

There are ethical ebayers just like the wide variety of people in the world. I think the buyer is more to blame, they are the ones that feed the over pricing frenzy. Just be careful what ya buy. Dont become the next Barnumee.

5. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

You definitely can get taken on e-bay. My mechanic bud purchased 2 tractors and a car locally but I know he didn't overpay. Would I? Probably...

katy

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I buy regularly on eBay.

But I also used to sell on eBay, so I know how to get out of there for cheap. I just determine the absolute top price I'll pay for something and, the minute it goes over that, well ... oh well! :D No big deal.

People who get attached to an item and MUST HAVE IT, however, always pay way too much for it. I think a lot of them just bid because it's exciting. I bid, though, because there are some great deals on eBay --- but you have to have some self control in order to ensure they STAY good deals.

Never get attached to an item you're bidding on on eBay! :no:

7. I don't think alot of people do their research whether they buy on ebay or elsewhere. I sell on ebay but when I want to buy something, I check out prices both off line and on.

I have however paid more for something OFFLINE just because I can drive and get it and take it home that day.

The high prices you are seeing, where are the buyers and sellers at? Farm equipment may be cheap where you are but significantly more expensive somewhere else so the buyer is still getting a deal (I have no idea since I never check farm equipment prices anywhere, LOL).

I deal in collectibles and the area of the country can make a huge difference. I know dealers/pickers/haulers who buy u-haul loads of turn of the century oak furniture and take it to texas or the east and west coasts. They buy it at auction, load it up and sell it at auction. And it pays well.

At my local auctions, I know a couple of dealers who regularly come every couple of months or so from north carolina and tennessee and will buy $20k of collectibles and antique furniture. They can't find it in their area at a price they can make a profit on.

in the vintage collectible field, where I live there are some things I can sell online and get a better price, there are some things I can sell offline and get a better price and there are some things I can buy on ebay and sell offline and get a better price. Those types of items are rare where I am but (apparently) more common and thus cheaper in other areas.

Mel-

8. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    People pay big money because it is the only place they can find it!!!!! If you cruise from Paris to Arthur on the back roads and keep your eyes open, you will find a gold mine parked behind barns and buildings :cool: The big drawback of buying online is the logistics of transporting the big stuff :no:
    Mr Wanda
    Mike