Farm Software - I created some

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gary in AL, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

I mentioned several months back about creating some software to help farmers. I guess I'm a wanna be although I have chickens and three different organic gardens. What I am is a software developer so that's what I did. I have created a system that I am praying can help small to medium farmers get a hold on all the things they have to do and keep up with. I worked with a meat producer CSA and a produce CSA in putting this together. So far an Ag college here and the state dept of Ag have bought about a dozen copies to hand out to local farmers for evaluation. When we get those results back we will be enhancing the system with their recommendations. I had to charge something for it so people will use it, if someone doesn't have something to lose they will normally just let it sit. I hope this isn't taken as an advertisement, it is not, I just want to know what you think. You can download a 30 day free trial and there is somewhat of a features list you can get to on the home page. Please let me know what you think. Gary www.farmhandsoftware.com

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

It looks nice, I will be interested in seeing what those farmers say. Are they all small time farmers or big agribusiness type farms or a mix? It's a bit pricey for someone starting out, so I expect it to be only really for those making a real go of it. The successful ones.

What kind of upgrades in the future will you support for those who buy it? I mean if someone buys it now and you get a lot of feedback to improve it, will they have to repurchase it again?

3. Gary in AL

ZYG,

It is for small to mid size farmers. Once you purchase it you free tires for life. I didn't think the $99 intro price was pricey because that will probably become the selling price. Our state dept of Ag is looking at subsidizing the $99 based on the farmers yearly income. If you r familiar with Heifer International they have bought a couple of copies for evaluation and possible distribution. I am working on it all the time trying to make it better. Gary

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I have an acre market garden. I'm still planting and will be harvesting into November. The software is downloading now.

If it's a dependable, useful tool it will help someone starting out get off to a stronger start. Kind of like buying a good shovel instead of using a trowel.

5. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Gary- thanks for getting Heifer involved with this. I've spent about 11 months volunteering for them full-time, and i can say that they really do put their money where their mouth is, unlike so many charities. Caite

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I'm so excited !! Been waiting so long !! Thank you so much!! demo is downloading as i type- guess we are gonna have to keep you around after all LOL , sis

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

OO downloaded it and unzipped it , whatever that is but now every time i click on the screen icon it just unzips it again?

8. Gary in AL

Sister,
    It created a directory on your C: drive called FarmHandDemo_Work. GO there and double click on the setup.exe. THat should do it for you. I really want to know what I need to change or enhance, So, let me know. Gary

9. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

gary..just d/l and it looks possible..I,ll have the wife look at it ..she,s the brains..I,m just the sex symbol..

Gord in BC

10. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks good - I'm downloading it too. Have been looking for a decent program for our CSA, hopefully this is it!

11. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Me again. How can I get rid of the pictures? I can't read the options because the font is paler than the image.

12. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

13. Gary in AL

DB -
    There is a way to run this language on Linux. I am setting up a Red Hat server this week. I will try it and see what I need to do. Gary

14. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member