Farm Show magazine!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AnnaS, Dec 18, 2006.

1. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I accidentally got the neighbor's copy in my mailbox. This is a no-ad paper with pages and pages of home-made tractors, attachments, and equipment, ideas to add farm income, and best buy/worst buy reviews.
    There's about 4-5 articles per page and the articles include a '87 Dakota that runs on wood (9000 miles per cord), a snowblower attachment that sucks up potato bugs, a homemade honey extractor, shotgun pellets made of spices, a novel way to get rid of rats, and a calf born with a "7" on its forehead.

Take a look at www.farmshow.com

2. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

I haven't got mine but I will look for the next one that comes out.

3. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

Awesome magazine. I especially liked the Best/Worst reviews.

4. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I love the home made projects ,they also have articles on alternative farm income .I used to enjoy mother earth news back when it had projests and ideas

5. phrogpharmer

phrogpharmer Well-Known Member

This magazine is worth every penny for the subscription. It has really given me ideas to build my own equipment and it has helped us make a good living from our small farm.
    Their "Best Of" and "Built it Myself" issues are are really worth getting also. I save all of my back issues and refer to them often, nearly every one has several "why didn't I think of that" articles.
    It is amazing to see how innovative and resourceful American and Canadian farmers are.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

One of the very few magazines I subscribe to. In almost every issue there is something I can use. In this last one had two items on making a barbwire fencing tool. I combined both into one tool. Now just need to get off my butt and go do some fence repair.

Not stated above they accept no advertisements or paid promotions. All come from information they picked up on their own or was reader submitted.

I believe you can get a number of years of back issues on a CD.

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

i got the inaugural copy some years back, could not put it down till i had finished it through! the encyclopedia and cd's are a good read too and their video's are great fer kicking back on a long winters night(wont get much sleep though, the idea's will be running through yer head like a frieght train!)

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

This is one of our favorites as well. Look forward to every issue. Reese

9. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I sent for a sample copy some time back, then subscribed when I saw what it is like. My latest issue was another "best of" magazine, in addition to the regular subscription issues, full of interesting stuff, some of it repeats, some new to me. Some of this particular "best of" almost looks like advertising, lots of contact info for companies I would never have heard of otherwise. My whole family reads Farm Show, and I take back issues to friends and relatives to let them enjoy it too. It is both practical and entertaining. Go to the link above, and get a free issue.

10. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

I just love it. It shows how bright some of these country folks are. It inspires me and I also love the best and worse reviews.

11. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I'd kind of 'forgotten' about Farm Show.

I just ordered myself a subscription and a gift subscription to my gearhead friend.

Should be just the thing for him for Christmas for $20...

12. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Uhhh....so how long did it take for your neighbor to get his "used" magazine back? Hehehe.

13. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I just ordered a sample magazine, and I ordered 2 copies of the "best of inventions" books. Too bad I didn't see this a couple weeks ago....Christmas presents!!

Thanks for the link.

14. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Same day- they're awesome neighbors. Told him I was keeping the new subscriber card tho.

15. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I think we can all pretty well agree that Farm Show is a great read.

However I do wonder how many of us put any of the ideas to use? How many of us would by a used school bus for $10,000, rip the body off and fix a bed to haul loads of round bales on it?

How many of us would build a round bale burner/furnace to heat two homes and a shop all at the same time with?

I fully applaud the inventive genius and some very thoughtful innovations, but how practical is it really for the average small holding homesteader?

Is there something like this publication for work in energy savings? Home Power would be the closest as far as I know. Yup, a round table discussion even via such publications to get the old thinking caps flowing with ideas would be great. BTW, how about that new idea of refrigeration with magnetic principals and the energy resultant savings?