Farm shoes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hovey Hollow, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

What do you all wear for working around the place?
    Now that we have horses I am finding that the Birkenstocks are no longer working! :grit:
    Not that they were ideal for wet grass, or chicken litter either, but I was going for comfort.
    Tennis shoes are great for bringing in all kinds of neat zig zag patterned clods of dirt into the living room! :bash:
    I hate cowboy boots or for that matter boots in general. I want something easy to get on and off, something I can hose down and not something terribly confining. Oh, and I hate to spend $$$ on shoes. (Strange woman aren't I?)Any suggestions? Where do you get them?

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

3. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

4. Hovey Hollow

I'd love to wear flip-flops, but I'd have the same problem with those as I do the Birks.........dang horses won't keep their feet to themselves!!! :grit:

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I very seldom wear anything on my feet. It's a bit of a joke around here, actually -- I've been known to go barefoot in snow. When I absolutely have to have something on, I have a pair of rubber clogs that I slip on -- and I keep a pair of sandals in my car (easy to slip on when the cops pull you over for a spot-check!), and I think there is a pair of rubber boots around here somewhere.

Now that my son is getting older, I find I can wear his shoes -- doesn't bode well for him for a while!

Tracy

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

LOL MT. Man that is EXACTLY what I was gonna say!!! $1.99 from Walfart! :rock: I like them because you can just hose them (and your feet) off. I never wear them in, The sun bleaches them out on the deck.
    They wouldn't help with horses, though...try some long rubber boots from the farm store, wear them in the barn only if they are uncomfortable. My DH's family live in them in Canada during fishing season.

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I found a pair of the rubbery garden shoes that I love - well, ok technically it's a still a boot - but it's loose and comfy, slips on and off - and can be hosed out -
    some people call them puddle boots or children's style rain boots.

They don't track in mud because it's too easy to kick them off before you go inside..
    AND you can still put them on when you're wearing bulky socks around the house.

8. Hovey Hollow

9. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've got several pairs of this and that. The latest are $4.99 water shoes from Wal-Mart. They go on and off quick, are, of course, waterproof and hoseable, and have a good grip for stepping in slippery stuff. Hubby got him some, too. He actaully wears his more than I do!

I sprained my ankle stepping in slippery stuff with flip-flops on. They were my shoe of choice until then.

Meg

10. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

A steel shank is a plate under the sole to stop sharp objects.

11. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

I'm not certain, but I think a steel shank on a shoe means that there's a bit of steel inserted in the middle part of the sole to help support your foot. Around the arch-area, I think, but maybe on part of the heel, too. Sneakers don't have them, but most other good shoes do. On these boots, I'd say it helps them feel more like a "real" shoe instead of like a floppy piece of rubber. For most people, that translates into more comfortable wear over longer periods.

12. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

Good point: and help stop sharp objects.

13. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I wear duck shoes around the farm, easy to hose off, but not a boot. I don't have to touch them to pull them off, just kick them off (that's good, when I don't feel like hosing them off, lol)

I don't get the steel-toed ones, but they do make them.

14. Hovey Hollow

mljjranch: duck shoes? Tell me more.......where do you get them?

wind in her hair: those look very comfy!! Kinda like Birks. How do you think they would deal with a horse stepping on your foot in one?

minikin: I've thought about those too......but now I can't find any of my catalogs. DH did a big catalog purge last week!! :( :grump:

15. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I wear rubber clogs....or go barefoot. Having a pitchfork through the foot wont change that, either...I have never liked shoes and would rather wash poo off my feet than have them getting all hot and sweaty in shoes, or the always 100% guaranteed rock under the ball of the foot.

16. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Here is a link that shows you what Duck shoes are...
    http://www.schnees.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SBS&Category_Code=DUC

I get the one's that are on top, and they don't require tying, that way I can just slip them on and off. I also don't buy them at that store, but it was the first link I found that had duck shoes, lol.

I can get mine for $39.99 or cheaper if they are on sale...so it's best to shop around. Most camping or big sporting goods places carry them. I usually get mine at Bob's sporting Goods but that is in Washington.

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................You should really put a Higher value on your feet ! For all the time I've spent working around horses\cattle I've never considered wearing anything other than Red Wing Steel toe Boots . They are an Absolute "Fight" to get off and ON......So , I simply took them down to my local Cobbler ..."Two Heels and A Loafer" and had him install a Large Zipper in the INside Vertical inseem . Now all I do is simply UNzip and easily remove the boot . Now , all that work is no longer necessary . fordy.. :)

18. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you think I can get some steel-toed flip-flops?

I just got some new purdy Georgia Boots with Steel toes at TSC just like the last ones that I got six years ago. They last us part-timers a little longer.

Some times I speed-chore in my office cowboy boots.( I have to do the sexy barnyard two-step gett'n around the Cow Polka Dots if you know what I mean) I have a pair of TSC rubber choreboots that set just inside the barn door. They are super around the barn and for pasture walks on dewey mornings before going to work.

The only problem with my steel toed boots is that when someone rings my doorbell, it yanks me upside down. ;)

Bret

19. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

On the the few occasions that I where shoes, I use $5-$10 hoseable slip-on rubber boots. Otherwise, I just go barefoot. And yes, I went barefoot in the snow...

20. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Red Wing work shoes. I have a pair of 8" work boots with steel toes (#2233), but steel-toed boots are hot in summer and cold in winter. Similar pair without steel toes is #453. American made in MN.

Wear rubber boots or lined 4-buckles depending on time of year.

If you spend all day on your feet working, no sense in wearing something that doesn't fit well and feel comfortable.