farm/ranch/homestead apprenticeships

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

First I want to thank you whom have told me about differant ereas.

Now, We have not had a real good time with finding a place. Furthermore , if we did find a place, ther is so much we dont know.
    We have heard of people offering room and board for help on their place. We think if the right place came along, this would be the perfect answer(for now).
    If anyone knows of such a place/person please me know.
    The main objective here is learning. We wish to learn anything, everything, that will help us be more a rounded self suficiant family. Hunting,storeing,procesing,building,planting,spinning, weaving,bee keeping,care takeing,ranching,any of it all of it. We are young, healthy, smart, and capable.
    Any takers?

2. Firethorn

3. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

Right now I'm looking for some folks to come around April 10th. This will be a permaculture (sort of beyond-organic) farm. We'll be providing food, a tipi and a small stipend.

No plans for hunting, spinning or weaving. But the rest of your list is covered, and then some.

You can see pictures at www.javaranch.com/farm

You can read a couple of small articles at www.richsoil.com

4. Paul Wheaton

Oh,

I probably should add that "internship" probably isn't the right word. That implies that we're gonna have folks with advanced degrees teaching you stuff so you can get credits.

I'm not sure about what "apprenticeship" implies.

We're going with the term "volunteers". We have lots of stuff to do and there are people that like to help out. For those that help, we'll provide food, tipi and a few bucks.

5. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

To me an internship implies you have the professional or other skills to complete the job/task and it would be an unpaid position. You see internships a lot for college and grad students.

Being an apprentince, to me, entails learning under someone who is skilled. Like back in tha day when blacksmiths still did everything from making swords to horseshoes and someone would come into his livery and learn how to under his supervision. I'd think this could be a paid or unpaid venture.

Good luck at finding something.. Have you tried googling the terms + farm/ranch/homestead?

6. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

It is a very nice place and wonderful pictures. Are you a professional photog?

7. Paul Wheaton

I'm not a professional photographer. I just take lots of pictures and pick out the best 10% or so.

8. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

9. Firethorn

That is exactly it! :) Yes I have tryed looking on the net. Not much luck though. Mostly finding places that want $ for a go at it. (I admire their resoursefullness) but that just will not do for us. We will be leaving our life, job included.Our work will have to suffice for paying our way.
    Mrs C.

10. Paul Wheaton

That's just it. I'm not sure if we know enough to be considered a "master" that can take on an apprentice. But I can use help and it appears that folks are willing to volunteer to help out.

We're currently putting together the plans (and funding!) for a lot of projects in 2005. Large scale terracing. Swales. Ponds. Pond docks. Hundreds of trees. 20 more raised bed gardens. A hobbit hole. A straw bale cabin. Cob. The tipi arrives tomorrow and will be set up in April. The portable sawmill arrived last week. The milk cow arrived last week. My daughter has been milking goats and selling cheese for over two years (she is now 11). We sold about 250 chickens this year. Gonna shoot for 600 next year. We have some interesting designs for pastured poultry pens. Need to optimize the layer pasture. Log/twig furniture. Canning. Outhouses. Honey. Ferrocement. Ram pump. Tanning. Aquaculture. Preserving meat, fruits, veggies and flowers. We might build a cold smokehouse, a springhouse and a root cellar.

Most of these things have been on our list for years. But now we're in a position to afford some help to get this work done.

11. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks really isn't much of a search, some people spend years looking. Be patient and prepare an opprotunity will come your way. Nothing worth having comes easily.
    Rog