Farm of hidden treasures

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CountryGoalie, Oct 26, 2005.

1. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to when they were grading my grandparents' new land the corner across from us. It was an overgrown lot when they purchased it - but apparently, long ago, there was a house there. We have found lots of glass mason jar lids, porcelain pieces, old metal pieces from the construction of the house, even a porcelain doll arm (small, and very old), a handful of other things, too.

What makes it even more interesting to us is that the house that used to be there was actually a stop on the Underground Railroad. Who knew we actually lived so close to history? :shrug: (Even if it is buried.)

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

hope u get your wish and find many treasures! :rock:

3. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Stephen King had a book where a homesteader unearthed what look like a piece of metal. She kept digging until they finally got out the bulldozers to unearth the thing. It turned out to be an alien transmitter. It zapped everyone until their teeth fell out.

Okay, the teeth thing may not be that important, but if it hums or plays the theme from Deliverance, flee.

4. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

ROFL I will have to honestly say since watching deliverance, I have a complete different take on dueling banjos. BTW hubby and I turned on the wrong road. I thought for a brief moment tht we had found the deliverance loaction. An inbred man was running around the house naked. I asked my husband if he could squeel(sp) like a pig. I thought we were going to wreck he was laughing so hard :D
    tnborn

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........tnborn , go buy one of those super duper metal detectors and you might find old coins , diamond rings , or who knows what . fordy... :)

6. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I find all kinds of stuff in the fields here. Arrowheads,marbles,and TONS of broken glass. This isn't just old bottles though..it's china,etched glass,depression glass. Where did it all come from? I have gathered it in buckets for years and everytime it rains,more comes to the surface.

I agree that you should get a metal detector...have fun with the treasures :)

7. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

tnborn,

You might be interested in this site. A nice group who enjoy digging bottles and other treasures.

http://www.thecellarhole.com/

We are still trying to locate the old privy that was here. I would love to dig it out and find some old bottles. So far we haven't been able to find it. I have a feeling the present diningroom and kitchen were built over it.

I find other interesting stuff with the metal detector though.

P.

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't it fun? I've found half of a butter churn lid, two arrowheads and tons of old barbed wire on our place so far. SIGH...could do without the old barbed wire.

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

When I was kid we lived near Conway, Washington. There was a house not far from us that had been abandoned during the depression. It was full of furniture, clothes, books, kitchen utensils, you name. We kids played with it. Now I think what a fortune in antiques were in that place. The house was eventually dismantled and used by a neighbor. Most of the contents and unuseable lumber went onto a huge burnpile and we had a first rate bonfire. Nobody wanted that old junk then. Sigh.............

10. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Long ago, my place was an naval air station. After it was abandoned, it became the local illegal dump. Eventually, it was cleaned up by bulldozing it all in a pile of dirt, what we call Pudding Hill. There is a darn red chevy poking out of Pudding Hill!

My kids enjoy treasure hunting, I call it Backyard Archeology. We had all kinds of brass boat hardware surface in the lawn, mohagany rails, anchors, all kinds of tools and UH OH! :eek: Ring locks from torpedo cannisters! The engineer from Army Corp of Engineers or DoD or somewhere seems to think I have a buried ammo dump in my bottom pasture. I don't let the kids dig down there! As long as my well tests clean, I can live with it.

A few year's back while living in a rental, we had permission to access the cow pasture next to us to get to the river, have picnics, play or whatever with the only stipulation of not running the cows. One day I wandered over to a stand of trees and found collapsed cabins the owner was piling slash on to burn. I looked underneath one cabin and saw a very unique kitchen cabinet under all that pile. It had the blue mason jars with the glass and steel lids with fruit still in them. Day by day, I salvaged the jars and carefully removed the cabinet piece by piece and brought it home. The newspaper in the bottom of the cabinet was dated 1918.

My cabinet, dried and reassembled is 4' x 7' knot free cedar all put together with hand whittled pegs. Huge framed panel doors on the bottom, linolium covered counter and jar shelves the rest of the way up all trimmed with fancy clear cedar molding. It truly is a treasure!

I never got a chance to crawl under the other cabins to salvage treasures. There was a lot in there, old iron beds, livestock and farming equipment and lots of antique milling tools. It didn't look too safe for me to go in there without a spotter and I am on my own with those kinds of salvage projects.

11. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

I vote for a modern metal detector! Some of the point out artifacts lacking metal.

A neighbor, with an old, crude metal detector discovered a $20 gold piece a couple of years ago. That coin is worth over $20K today!

12. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

If you come across any red marbles hold on to 'em and have it checked out. They are supposed to have quite a nice price on them. A metal detector would be a good thing to use out around there. Some of the old folks would slid coins into the slits of the boards to their houses. They also would hid coins in fence post when they had cracks.
    On my parents old place the original house was right next door and one of the old family member stopped by and told us that where my parents had built their house was where the old barn used to sit. It expalined why my mom and I found a ton of old metal from fence hinges to saddle parts.

13. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I remember this one! Great book!

Way back when, there was no garbage pick up, recycling center or drop off at the town transfer station, so what to do with garbage??? Well, pigs, chickens, burn barrel and compost pile can only deal with so much. There are certain things that had to be disposed of. They would dig a pit and bury it, throw it in the hedgerow, drop it down the outhouse hole. I read an article about people that will dig for treasure under old outhouses. Money was often hid there. They would also find LOTS of old fashioned spectacles and many oil lamps. (set on the edge and knocked in! I'm not going down there to get it!)

I remember Gramma Sarah flattening all the tin cans and sticking them in the barn wall cracks. Remember putting razor blades between the studs inside the back of the medicine cabinet?

Congrats on your treasures! Bottles are always fun to find too.

14. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

our house was built in 1906 and when we bought it we found a news paper dated the day JFK was assasinated with pics of the shooting, we saved it and also have found lots of harness brass,arrow heads,bullets etc. have also been told that this mystereous mound we have in the pasture is an old anistozy (sp.?) indian house mound.

15. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Guess what? I did find an old procelin(sp) sink. :rock: I just finished digging it up. :clap: Where would be I buy/order a metal detector? I think I have some red marbles..I will have to look. BTW have you ever heard of standing stone park? The marvel shooting contests are held there.
    tnborn

16. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

Cabela's have some really good metal detector's
    brett

17. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

18. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

I don't know what state you are in, but my husband works with a guy who sell "Whites" metal detectors. I do think he carries used ones, too. His business is in Delaware. Nice guy. let me know if you want his number. Good Luck! I'm also interested in digging up local privvys, just haven't had the nerve or the time to knock on the doors of the Amish farms i'm interested in. One nearby farm owned by Amish recently dismantled a 2 story beautiful log home from the early 1800's. That's my #1 target!

19. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

On our land north of Flagstaff, the ants would dig up potsherds (pottery fragments) from the Anasazi who camped on our land during the summers when they would come to worship Kachinas on the San Francisco Peaks. The pieces are large enought to see the brush strokes of the designs they painted. According to the local museum, they probably had a trash dump on our land. That kind of trash I like!

20. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I love to poke around in the trees and find things too. I hope our next place has things to find too.

There was a news report about someone finding something metal in their garden when digging. They ended up using a backhoe or something, and dug up a military tank! After the war, it was cheaper or easier just to bury the thing.