Farm names

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hovey Hollow, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

We've been tossing around farm names for a while, but I guess we had better get to it since we are getting into a couple of kinds of pedigreed or registered animals and need something to put on pedigrees, etc.
    We only have 5 acres, so I don't really see us as a "ranch" or even that much of farm, but I guess with chickens, turkeys, guineas, rabbits, cows, and temporarily a couple of horses, and now a garden we are getting pretty close to "farm" status.
    At first we were playing around with our name. "Hovey Hollow Farm" or "Hovey Homestead" My DD thinks "Hovey Hollow" sounds too cutsy. It's her pedigreed rabbits, so I guess she should have a say.
    We got to looking around the place and it's most distinguishing characteristic and the one that really drew us to the place is the huge willow trees. We are in Oklahoma and OK is very windy, so "Wind in the Willows Farm" came to mind or a variation "Wind and Willows Farm" After picking up willow branches after our last windy day for a couple hours last night DH was ready to call it "Dang Nabbit Willows! Farm" :grump: :viking: :grit:

So, do any of these jump out and grab you? Any other ideas?
    What is your farm name if you have one and how did you come up with it?

2. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

Windy Willows?
    Hovey Willows?

Ours is Covenant Farms

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Wind in the Willows?

Sighing Willows
    What kind of goats? Saaen Willows

4. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Be very careful here. My little five acres wound up with the name "Morning Dance" because I let my God Daughter name the place. Seems it came from a children's book referring to rabbits in the morning and when she saw all the cotton tails in the early mornings - well, to her it was a natural (therefore, to me also).......

5. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Waskilly Wabbit Willows.

6. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Remember in the first movie (or was it the 2nd?) when he took his woman down to Australia and showed her his mine? She asked, "What is this place?"

He said, "Belongamick" ... She said, "What's that mean?"

He said, "Mick's Place"

Remember, his name was Mick Dundee. His place was "Belongamick"

My name is John, so I named my place, The Belongajohn Farm

It'll work for any name, but one-syllable names fit better. Try yours.

7. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I live on Apple Jack Creek - the creek was a distinguishing feature, and Apple Jack was what we called my grandfather, whom I loved dearly. It popped into my head one day and stuck. :)

Do you have another distinguishing feature you can pair up with willow ... like Willow Ceek or Willow Hill?

What about Willowcroft? A croft is an old word for a small homestead.

8. Hovey Hollow

Goats weren't on the list. Don't tempt me!
    We have Dexter cattle, Lionhead rabbits, Heritage breed turkeys (Royal Palms and soon Bourbon reds) and any breed of chicken I can get my hands on. Oh and soon to have Sebastopol geese!!

9. Hovey Hollow

Unfortunately we have a dry creekbed that goes though the property. We were told by our neighbor that it used to flow but then it stopped. He sent a grandkid upstream to investigate and a neighbor farther up had himself a new pond! Wonder why the neighbors up the road complain about flooding and drainage problems?? For us anyway, now it's more a storm drain. Since we are in a drought it's been empty for a while. Kind of a bummer.

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Heritage Land. or Dry Gulch
    Hovey Heritage Acres.

11. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

12. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ours is called Maligaya, which in Tagalog or Philippine language means Happy Joy.

And that is the feeling we get when there.

We got the name from our son who lives in the Philippines and speaks Tagalog, thanks to the USA Peace Corps -- which he was in years ago.

Good Luck with the Willows,

Alex

13. lilmommajnn

lilmommajnn Well-Known Member

My mom's is "Lazy S Farm" (said, of course, with a Kentucky accent)

14. greyhound girl

greyhound girl Well-Known Member

I think Hovey Hollow is great - do you live in a hollow? It sounds just right for 5 acres. And doesn't it just fit for raising rabbits?!!!

15. goatgirl2

goatgirl2 Active Member

My farm is also on 5 acres, and it DOES sound like you've already got a farm, by the way! I figured I'd always be near mountains, so my farm is Cuesta Farm, which is Spanish for 'foothills'. All of us anglos pronounce it 'qwesta', but the real pronunciation I'm told, is 'KES-ta'. However, I'm out on the prairie now, but I can SEE the mountains, does that count? Wonder what is Spanish for 'flat, brown, AND windy'? I believe the Spanish word for willow is "jaroso" (ha-RO-so... has a nice ring to it). What about looking for a Native American word for willow? Like your native Kiowa or Comanche.. or any of the transplanted tribes in eastern OK?

OK, I'm quite fond of Wind in the Willows Farm; and I happen to really love Dagnabbit Willows Farm! But kind of long for some; but wouldn't bother me. There are some great suggestions here.

Wylde Willow Farm... or Willow Wylde Farm
    Willow Wood
    Willow Wind
    We Raise Heritage Birds Farm

OK, it's late. Got a particular landmark nearby? Creek or river?
    debra in nm

16. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

Rustling Willows Ranch or
    Breezy Willows Ranch

I have lotsa deer and creeks so I call mine Deer Creek Ranch.

17. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

as you can see from my farm name simple... yes we have the concitered TWIN PINES FLAT CREEK FARM, LAZY J ROLLING HILLS and bunch others but most those were already taken.......when at a cattle sale the first time i bought cows...the auctioner knew me and it was real noisie when i bid and bought my first cow so he just said MYERS FARM and been that way ever since so its simple

18. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
  19. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I liked Hovey Hollow, too!

We are Hollow Oak Farm.

Meg

20. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

We have been using Morningwood Farms for a few years. Me and three sons, no women hence Morningwood lol.

Look for terrain features like Hollows creeks etc in your area. Before our permanent move we were Warrior River because we lived near the Warrior River.