Farm Names and Herd Names

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Dec 19, 2005.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

We just got our herd name, O'My.
    My daughter wants to show, come up with a farm name, something we can put on a sign down by the road, etc....and she wants to draw up a logo.

I know you can make your farm name different than your herd name, but most people don't make it completely different, do they? Yet we're just not sure "O'My" sounds right in the farm name. What do ya'll think?

Also, is it stupid to use the word "farm" in your farm name if you only have 6 acres, 10 goats, 2 dogs, and 20 chickens?

Shae

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I have no idea about the rest of the stuff you asked, but I think that adding "Farm" to your sign wouldn't harm anything, the defi9nition of a farm is when 50% or more of your income comes off your land, but most city-slickers think of a farm as anyone that owns more than 2 chickens, so hey who cares! Good Luck with your farm name, bye.

3. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd love to give you an idea to "expand" your name to make a logo of something, but sorry, not creative enough!

But...go ahead and use farm. When we started out here 9 years ago, we owned 1 acre and rented an acre for horse pasture. We owned 4 dogs and 2 horses. My name is Jenny, hubby is Darrin and we like western stuff, and we wanted more land in the future and a name that wasn't connected to where we lived at the moment. Hence D Bar J Acres was born. We still live here, but now own 7 acres and still dream of having more some day! We've also grown to 5 dogs, 1 horse, 8 donkeys and average 12 goats. All our goats/donkeys/dogs are registered as D Bar J .... or DBJ ....

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

You can definately call your place a farm. Where I live, a "farm" is kind of a catch-all name for a country place where you have farm animals and such. In reality, a farm is where crops are grown, a ranch is where livestock is raised. I call our place a farm although we don't "farm". I am hesitant to refer to it as a "ranch" when talking to most cattlemen as we only have 90 acres and by Texas standards, that is really small. We have a total of 21 head of large livesock and 14 goats and a bunch of chickens and dogs and a cat.

I like "O'My"...I assume it is a Wizard of Oz thing. Like "Lions and Tigers and Bears, O'My!" If so, how about "Over the Rainbow Farm", or something of that nature?...Diane

5. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

Instead of farm you can always use O'my Acres too.I wanted our farm to have my very first horse whos name is Rambler in there so that is how we came up with Ramblin Acres. Its a tribute to my "old man" who we still have today and he will be buried here when his time comes.

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

We are called God's Homestead. He led us here, and everyone thought we were nuts leaving a brand new house and moving in to an old house that had not been lived in for thirteen years. That's if you don't count the raccoon and skunks..LOL!!

It is now twelve acres of mostly pasture..garden and one new barn and one machine shed/shop and a small..but very cozy little house.

We feel that God led us here and we feel that He watches over us and the animals. I am sure we are being His stewarts to this small homestead and all that live here.

7. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

we registered our herd name and it's the same as our "farm name"

8. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

We have our farm name the same as our herd name. Ours is Raine Daze Hobby Farm. We decided on that name for a couple of different reasons.

The first being that we knew if would be hard for us to get started and that there would be a lot of "Rainy Days" that we would need to save for.

The second being is that my dad loved goats when I was younger. He passed on right after we purchased our farm. We always say that when it begins to rain that he is watching over us.

With the two of those reasons together we came up with our farm and herd name.