Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we have a farm jack we have used exactly once, and didn't like the way it operated.. Now we need to jack up a tractor stuck in the mud. Front tire needs to be lifted to get it moving forward.

The farm jack goes up fine, but does not come back down properly. I tried taking the lift pins out and oiling it all. The top lift pin does not come out when the handle is stroked up and down. It does work if I pull it out used a screw driver behind the "cross pin". But that seems dangerous.

I'm wondering if the dang thing was put together wrong in the first place. The top cross pin does not go all the way through so as to ride up on the metal ramp and pull the top lift pin out on a handle stroke. Seems like it needs to.

But when I hammered it through so as to do so, the whole dang thing slid all the way down the climbing bar. Is it supposed to do that when there is NO weight on it?

Also, just to check on whether it is together right, which way are the lift pins supposed to face (sloped end)?
Should the sloped end be facing up or down, on the bottom pin, up or down on the top pin?

Thanks much! We are trying to avoid getting hurt bad here.... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,787 Posts
If you are talking about those handyman jacks that lift about 3' then good luck. Mine sits unused most of the time for the very reasons you just described.

It does work if I work it very deliberately and slowly plus lots of WD-40 on the pins. Try working the lever ALL the way up and ALL the way down. If that doesn't work tap the frame (not the pins) when it's time for the pins to slide.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Try stroking the handle all the way down and then all the way up. Mine works fine if I do that. Make certain that nothing is limiting the stroke such as part of the tractor being in the way or the handle hitting the ground.

I went to move the cattle at the farm where the jack is and I checked the direction the tapered end of the pin is located. On my jack that has never been apart the tapered ends enter into the holes on the vertical section (main shaft) of the jack.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thaks for the replies! Yes, I stroke the handle all the way up and down...

·
Premium Member
15,787 Posts
I do remember mine dropping all the way too. I think I didn't wait for the sticky pin to lock into place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
With the lever in position for lowering if you put the handle straight up it does slide freely; real handy for bringing it up to "work level" instead of having to pump the handle to bring it up. They do seem to be contrary; got so aggrivated with my old worn out one I went to TSC yesterday & bought a new one! even the new one is a little contrary but works! The flat sides of the pins would have to be down; tapered sides up as the taper makes the pin slide in; wouldn't want it to slide in from "weight pressure"!

Lew near Waco, TX

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tapered sides up, ok, thanks Lew. Do you know if the top cross pin is supposed to be all the way accross? If so mine is put together wrong, I will bang it in further so it rides up the ramp...

·
Registered
148 Posts
bbbuddy said:
Tapered sides up, ok, thanks Lew. Do you know if the top cross pin is supposed to be all the way accross? If so mine is put together wrong, I will bang it in further so it rides up the ramp...
I'd hafta look to be sure but believe the roll pins are centered in those pins that have the tapers on them. Think I'd have noticed if they weren't; would "look strange"

If you'd like I can take a pic later on; back channel email is bee_keeper at earthlink dot net.

Lew

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Keep your face out of the way of the handle when loaded it can be violent in it up swing if your NOT paying attention to things, more than one person has had there jaw broke,

It seems like there a necessary evil

I have to at times work the pins on mine as well, I can usually jsut grab it and pull it out with a pair of pliers, if there extremely well oiled and clean they will work, sometimes.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
There must be different versions/designs in these jacks as mine seems different than what is being discussed. Mine is USA made but it is an axle jack with 2 pins that alternately move in and out of the holes in the main vertical shaft and it doesn't exhibit the problems listed here.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I use PB Blaster, then keep it WELL lubed every single time I use it. Mines never set out overnight, but still needs more lube than virtually anything here to work properly. Handyman jack & come-a-longs are the 2 things my one man operation couldn't get by without.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
agmantoo said:
There must be different versions/designs in these jacks as mine seems different than what is being discussed. Mine is USA made but it is an axle jack with 2 pins that alternately move in and out of the holes in the main vertical shaft and it doesn't exhibit the problems listed here.

Yes, that is the kind, also called a "hi-lift" jack. The two pins move in and out. If you look closely, what makes them move in and out are two metal "ramps" that the cross pins (kind of like a cotter pin but not split) should ride up to force the pins in and out. On mine, the top pin's cross pin does not go all the way through to ride up the ramp, so it is not working properly. At least that's what I "think" (danger, danger) is happening...

·
Premium Member
15,787 Posts
I'm glad to hear it isn't just me who has trouble with this jack.

I can't tell you how many times I dropped my 3/4 Ford 4x4 off that jack.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I use them regularly and am agravated just as often. If(IF) you keep them well oiled they will work much better. I like the free slide position of the handle so I can bring the toe to the load quickly. Never put your head over that bar(handle) for if it doesn't "click"(seat) properly the handle can come up violently as you start back up with it. I have a scar on my left arm from one kicking out from a load. As with ANY jack always shore up under the load as you lift it. I move houses/buildings and have had jacks do crazy things. I had a 50 ton ram stick into a timber about four inchs when the load shifted. We use the Hi Lifts on garages/sheds/small bldgs and they get us by-grrr, wc

·
Registered
148 Posts
bbbuddy said:
Yes, that is the kind, also called a "hi-lift" jack. The two pins move in and out. If you look closely, what makes them move in and out are two metal "ramps" that the cross pins (kind of like a cotter pin but not split) should ride up to force the pins in and out. On mine, the top pin's cross pin does not go all the way through to ride up the ramp, so it is not working properly. At least that's what I "think" (danger, danger) is happening...
Looked at mine today & those small cross pins are "centered" (iow same amount sticking out on each side of the big pin).

Lew

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lewbest said:
Looked at mine today & those small cross pins are "centered" (iow same amount sticking out on each side of the big pin).

Lew
Thank you Lew. Does that mean that the upper cross pin is able to slide up the metal ramp on the side, like the lower pin does?

I "think" (not being right in front of it) mine needs to be more to the right to slide on the ramp...it's in the truck, and my DH is away for a bit, I will look at it again when he comes back.

I just can't see any other way the upper pin would come out on a handle stroke unless that cross pin is far enough over to run up and down the ramp...

·
Registered
148 Posts
bbbuddy said:
Thank you Lew. Does that mean that the upper cross pin is able to slide up the metal ramp on the side, like the lower pin does?

I "think" (not being right in front of it) mine needs to be more to the right to slide on the ramp...it's in the truck, and my DH is away for a bit, I will look at it again when he comes back.

I just can't see any other way the upper pin would come out on a handle stroke unless that cross pin is far enough over to run up and down the ramp...
Send me an email & I'll take pix of mine tomorrow & send them back to you. my email is bee_keeper at earthlink dot net.

Lew

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
you fellas that are having problems must not be a holdin your mouth right when you use those "alaska jacks" [another name for them] ..... my dad bought one in around 1970 or a little later and it is still in service, ive got one in every rig except the new 98 expedition.....

with 2 of them you can jack up the front and back and live "dangerously" and kick the rig over and get out of a mud hole, or snow bank and even out of a ditch if you aint got a winch but you have a cable and something to latch to. the fela that invented the original had it so there was a place to hook a chain under the bumper plate and dads orginal had a top piece that acted as a clamp similar to a vise.

I wouldnt be without one and in fact when my wife and I were hitched 7.5 years ago I went to the parts house and bought one for the 90 mile trip home [we were pulling a uhaul trailer and her pick up was loaded] so we still have that one around too.... one of those pieces of equipment that a fella uses more often than a shovel after a snow storm.

William

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blu3duk said:
you fellas that are having problems must not be a holdin your mouth right when you use those "alaska jacks" [another name for them]
Well it turns out, thanks to Lews excellent photos, that ours was put together wrong. Lew, and the rest of you helping describe yours, saved us from potential serious harm!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts