farm hand

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Sep 29, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering what a farm worker (new to it) might expect to get paid here in SW Missouri. And how you'd even go about finding out about such possibilities.

2. pcdreams

3. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

To find out the possibilities - GET Out and about. That job won't come to you, you need to get out. Stop at local farms seeing if the farmer needs help or knows of someone needing help. Stop at the local feed store and put up a sign about yourself and looking for farm work.

As for what you get paid, alot of it will depend on your experience. If you already know how to do farm jobs, you shouldn't have a problem getting hired, but if you know nothing and the farmer has to show you everything - it's possible you won't get called at all. If that ends up being the case, you might have to contact a farmer who needs help and agree to work for free for a week so he can see your work ethic and capability.

You must remember that most farmers don't have alot of money to throw around. Fertilizer, fuel, seed has all gone up in price while alot of times there paycheck is the same as it was 5 years ago.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I wouldn't mind getting me one of those free for a week workers! Send some my way.

5. pcdreams

I wouldn't mind working free for a week if 1) It would get me some experience 2) I knew I'd be getting paid afterwards.

To me its more about the experience anyway. If I could pull down $7-8/hr Thats really about all I need..

I'll have a drive around and see what types of places are left around here. All of the feed and seeds that I am aware of are long gone (have been for a few years now) but I'm sure there must be some other places where farmers go.

6. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I'm in your area PCdreams..I vaguely remember seeing someone in a classified ad somewhere recently looking for farmhands...offering room and board + pay if I''m not mistaken. Check the classified ads in the paper and maybe some of the local feed stores may have ads up on the boards .

7. pcdreams

8. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

Most farm workers of my experience, including myself at one time, get paid a huge portion of their income in free housing and food. One job I held a (good) few years back was a perfect example: free house on the farm, utilities paid, an entire beef each year and $400 cash per month.

People don't advertise unless they're desperate and willing to put up with any Jack KnowNothing off the street. Most choose from folks they know or who know folks that they know. If you buy from a farm currently (eggs, hay, CSA) let them know you're looking for a job. Chat the feedstore clerks up and let slip in passing that you're handy and in need of work. Go to auctions, jackpots, the local Ranch & Home and talk to people. Be willing to do anything and take anything in return, and I do mean anything. Once you get a reputation as a generally handy person to have around, plenty of people will call you in a pinch, including the farm wife whose apple orchard went berserk and needs to deal with dozens of extra bushels before they rot.

9. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

We are in NE CO but have had full time farm employees for many years. We have got our best employees by word of mouth and one time from an ad we put in our local farm/ranch magazine...The Fence Post. Our current employee rented a house from us first and had another job but ended up working for us. He is VERY ambitious and hardworking and already had experience with cattle/machinery but the farmer taught him how to irrigate. He gets his house/utilities free and we bought him a (older)pickup and gave him the title. We give him days off when he wants, BUT he had to prove himself first. His salary is $1600 a month after deductions plus extra cash when we have it. If he hangs with us for the duration we will give him some land. We don't furnish health insurance but I have paid for doctor/chiropractors visits out of my pocket.

If you are a self starter/fast learner and willing to work long hours/without griping and can find an honest/kind/wise farmer for a boss, that might be what you want. :cowboy: Talk to lots of people who hang out at the local cafe, livestock auction or just drive up to a farm and inquire. Good Luck.

10. pcdreams

I can do all those things. No experience but I am a fast learner and don't complain.
    I've got a guy I use to work with thats a farmer. Said I could work for him all I want for free. If only I had that luxury. :)

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........I never had much use for anybody that won't pay a man for the work he does if he is busting his butt . Marilyn in Co. has the attitude that makes the ideal employer\employe relationship . fordy... :)

12. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I would sure take one, also. In the midwest, most I see offer free housing, either another house or a trailer on the same farm.

13. pcdreams

thats probally a good deal for some folks. Ifn I'm working around this area though I already have a house :)

14. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I'll warn you now...you probably won't find very many if any people in S.W. Missouri willing to pay the wages that Marilyn in CO described. My husband is a horse trainer and farrier...he had to reset what he charged because no one would pay what he used to get in Nevada. As a result he had to find a second job to counter our losses.
    Of course if you don't have a family, then a lesser wage would be fine for you

15. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

:eek: if your farm is remote and the worker has no family (or they are very far away) you can get them to work for free.

youll need a whip.

seriously it depends on how hungry they are.

16. dale

dale Well-Known Member

PC Dreams here in missouri you will find many of the farm hand jobs are usually with the Dairy Farmers.
    Some pay pretty good.. My neighbor milks for a farmer and gets 500 per week.
    But has no benifits..
    Something to think about.. many farmers want to pay you and you pay the taxes.. that needs to be figured in when deciding on a job and need to have pay enough to pay the taxes and live.

dale

17. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Saw an ad here in NC that was for a "Hired Hand" position. Duties included cutting grass, plowing, brush hogging, feeding cattle, worming, general mainteance. Pay was Room/Food and $500 month.

That ad usually runs around winter time. So it must be harder to keep a hand in winter than summer.:shrug:

I would think that several trips to locale feed store and talk to county agent might give you a start in right direction.

Kenneth in NC

18. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess it depends on what "farmer" work is, but farm work tends to be migratory in nature, Your only needed during planing and harvest season for a farmer.
    If they raise animals then you might find a fulltime job. Figure it will not be much money but they most likley will have a room for you to stay onsite.

19. luckysranch

luckysranch Well-Known Member

Just wondering what type of work you want to do - animals, machinery, crops? and why you want to do "farm work" for a living?

20. pcdreams

all of the above. Mostly animal and crops though. Why do I want to do it? Because thats what I will be doing for a living once our homestead is complete. I figure learn now, make later easier :)