Farm Cat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Apr 17, 2005.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I brought a male cat from the animal shelter a year ago to our farm. Sometimes we spend the weekends, there. I go there every day i go out there to tend to honeybees, and feed the cat. He (fixed) is an loveable 3-yr old, and a great survivor, because of the cayotes. Today, i captured a swarm of bees, and i have been noticing my cat looking up in a big oak tree. He was looking up there yesterday also. I looked up where he was looking today, and it was another cat. It was probably just dropped off. Will these cats become friends. I like working cats, moles, gofers and snakes. I don't want more than two, but he might like a friend. Do males get along better when there fixed than females, or does it matter?

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Most often, if you introduce two cats as adults, they will fight. Usually they never learn to be friends, though they might develop an armed truce after a few spats. If you want to have two cats, the best thing to do is get two kittens at the same time, and raise them together. Even then they may decide to spat later, but you are much more likely to have two remain friends if they are raised together.

Kathleen

3. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

We have two outside male cats and we put out food every day for them. Every cat in the neighborhood knows they can get free food on our porch. Some cats can come and go as they please and ours will just sit there and not even give a second look. Others are attacked immediately. Sometimes one cat will have a problem with an intuder but not the other one. Very strange. I guess it all depends. The two guys I have were put together as adults and were at one time indoor cats. The other indoor cats I have, male & female didn't like either of them and would beat the snot out of both of them. They are pretty laid back, so maybe that's why they got picked on. So I guess it depends on the cat. They each have a personality just like people and will get along or not just like people.

Nomad

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My two neutered males HATE CATS!!!! Major fight when another cat invades their turf. Amos has mellowed a little at nine, but Tru is 4 and going strong. I brought Tru home as a kitten and kept him in a carrier, unless I was with him, until Amos decided to accept him. Now they are fast friends. Still fight occasionally.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Go figure.

I have four neutered toms, and, although they had some spitting and hissing and stuff each time we introduced another cat, they get along famously now.

Well, okay, sometimes the one-year-old (Zonker) will annoy the oldest cat, but there's never any blood spilled, just a little "meowrr! fft! ffft!) and it's over.

Pony!

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Other than you being there I wonder if it is in the tree because of your cat? Who knows how good of buddies they are. I guess you just keep watching your cat and if there is no battle wounds they are buddies.

7. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

When my neutered tom was allowed outside (first two years of his life) I thought that when there was another cat lying not far from him, that they were being friendly. Until I realized that my cat was just waiting for the other cat to move and then...

8. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

My cat gets along just fine with the neighbor's cats. In fact, I have actually seen them cooperate while hunting. One cat would flush a mouse out of the bushes right into the claws of another. I think if cats are allowed to meet on their own terms, rather than being foisted upon one another, they will socialize well. Cats are very social animals in the wild.

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We have four neutered male cats who all live together in our big back porch catery and who were all together in our house until we built the catery. We also had another Tom who died March 17th. All the male cats get along just fine even though they are different ages and were brought together at different times in their lives. We also have a female (fixed) cat out there with them and a fixed female living in the house with us.

Baxter, the oldest of the cats on the porch, and Chipper, the one who died March 17th, were best friends even tho we got Baxter about 8 months before Chipper. They slept together, ate together, and were just always together.

It might be different if they are all outside having to vy for food and compete for attention but we've not had that problem between the males. All were fixed a little while AFTER we introduced them to the others too....

Biscuit, the inside cat, is jealous of ANY of the other cats but that is just because she is spoiled completely rotten....

10. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

Currently I have 13 cats in and around my house. I love observing their drama. You never know who’s going to pounce on whom. I call it the “Taxi Driver” syndrome. YOU LOOKIN AT ME?

11. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Now that's funny :haha: I love how you say "observe the drama" because that's the best way of putting it. I have cats...a fixed male,a fixed female,and a new kitten. All the other cats(very many!)come from all around,to eat the food I set out. There's no rhyme nor reason to the attacks. Some cats come right up and eat,no fuss....other cats get pounced on,most of the time by my fixed female cat! Then on the other hand,a raccoon can come right up and eat...the cats will swat him a few times,when he won't back down,the cats give up and just eat with him anyways. You can never tell what they will do. Just watch them,if you can...see what happens when they don't think you are watching. I can't help but wonder,if two cats are all alone out there,if just maybe they would take up with each other.

12. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

"Cats are very social animals in the wild."

cats are solitary by nature..