far out and UPS?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bbbuddy, May 13, 2004.

1. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

:) We are moving in 3 weeks SO FAR OUT that I am wondering about silly stuff like UPS deliveries...how do you all handle it?

We will be 20 paved miles from the nearest small town, then an additional 10 miles of virtually empty dirt road, so I somehow kind of doubt UPS will be anxious to deliver to us :)

Anyone else out that far? Do you cultivate a town friend to take deliveries for you?
    Do small town post offices with custumers way way out accept UPS deliveries?
    We will have a mail box at the pavement (there are 33 there right now), does UPS leave at the mailboxes- And then you trust that the package will be left alone until yopu pick up?? Somehow can't see that...
    thanks!

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

bbbuddy -- My parents lived an hour away from the nearest town, 20 miles of it dirt road -- and UPS delivered to them. They always called first to make sure someone would be home -- but they delivered to the door.

3. RAC

RAC Guest

Well, if you live that far out, with ID theft being a big deal and all, I would NOT have street delivery for any bills or credit cards--rent a PO box for that. Where you have a problem is with things that either can't go through the US mail or the business will only use a common carrier--at that point you have to choose whether or not you will do business with them--funny though, every time the common carriers strike, the same businesses that turn up their noses have no problems going through the post office....

As for UPS they cannot deliver to the post office--unlike Fed Ex, they have not yet made any agreements with USPS for that.

The trouble with having other people take deliveries and I include the Mail Box Etc. type places with this, is that you may void being able to make claims on postal/ups insurance in case of damage or theft--you're releasing the company for any liability when you allow them to leave it with a neighbor or some other agent. And if the person sending it REQUIRES your signature with ID (restricted type delivery) you will have to pick it up at the post office or the UPS office.

You might be able to accept packages at your place of employment, although again, it is a liability issue for them. You can't very well hold the mail clerk responsible for your personal mail. Also they may be leery of accepting strange packages, period, and you can't blame them these days.

So in short, PO Box, and do business only with people/companies that will send through the Post Office. Especially point this out to them if THEY have a PO Box for security reasons....

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

UPS leaves it on our porch or with neighbors if we aren't home. They come right to the door. I have had no trouble getting FedX here either.

5. Echo

Echo Member

The only place that I have lived that UPS did not deliver to was in MT and there was 10 miles of four wheel drive road to get to the house so was understandable. When we were there the hardware store in the closest little town served as drop off point for UPS the guy was right across the street from the grocery and bank so pretty well saw everyone who came to town he'd step out and holler at you that you had a package or if one of your neighbors had a package ask you to let them know.

Where we are now the UPS guy and the FedX both call and ask me to meet them at the pavement if there has been a lot of rain otherwise they delivery to the house with no problem.

6. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations on your new place! :p
    I would check with the nearest UPS office and ask. Some places here have large parcel boxes next to thier mailboxes. The key for delivery is in the lock and then when the UPS guy puts it in the parcel box, he deposits the key in there with it. Then you use your key to get it out - something like that. Since it sounds like you have mailbox units, that may be the case.
    And like someone else mentioned. Sometimes smaller businesses will accept deliveries for you, if you agree not to hold them responsible for a damaged delivery.
    Our UPS guy puts the delivery in a plastic bag and hangs it over our gate, usually where it can't be readily seen by someone else. It probably just depends on the terrain of your road and the time it takes for the delivery, as to whether they will deliver directly to you or not.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Couriers keep a little black book that is given to every driver that covers this route. Most of the houses are off road and UPS's heavy trucks can't get through. The drivers- there is a steady stream of different ones- call the person at home and we will meet them at the nearest paved intersection. They cannot leave packages in our mailbox but they can leave packages in a separate box for UPS/FedEx/etc. if one wants to risk that- I don't and I don't see anyone else doing it. It has been a pain in the butt. We sometimes pay an express delivery- for semen for example- that a company charges us automatically but we don't get it before our regular delivery time, which has been as late as 7:30 pm. I wouldn't mind if I didn't have to pay for the premium service but we have been charged that premium on several ocassions because of company contracts with UPS. We have no guarantees out here- no shipping times are guaranteed at all. I stopped shipping with UPS because they will not pick up out here (and be courteous at the same time) so I had to travel at least an hour each way to drop packages off. It got to be an expensive proposition that my customers didn't want to pay for and it has had a negative impact on my business. The experience has opened my eyes to the monopoly UPS has in parcel delivery. I shop online a lot and now refuse to buy from anyone who exclusively ships UPS. Fed Ex on the other hand, has been outstanding in every way. Our Fed Ex driver is the cream of the crop. Before she ever had my cell phone number she came out to my house with a smile- several times. After expecting so little with one company, Fed Ex is like a touch of civilization in the boonies. To be fair every area has its outstanding couriers- here IMO, it is Fed Ex. They even guarantee early morning service.

8. The actual way is slightly different from one region to another - you can assign a different delivery point, drop-off at the neighbor if you aren't home, or leave on the porch/ mailbox. Sometimes they do this even if you don't want. Generally you can set up the rules for your address & generally that will be followed. If they can't get there or can't find anyone home to sign, you may have to go pick up at their nearest dropoff point.

But in general UPS is very good at rural deliveries, and will make it work for you. Other carriers have a much shabbier reputation for anything but delivering to a city block. Specifically Speedy is horrid won't even _try_ to leave a town, and Fex-Ex leaves a lot to be desired, in my Minnesota region.

Things could be different in your particular region.

--->Paul

9. bbbuddy

OK, thanks guys, sounds like I may be able to get delivery from UPS...amazing that they travel so far.

the mailboxes are just whatever anyone puts out at the road, private type, NOT from the post office...come to think of it, I don't even know which little town the mail comes from!
    Delivery at work? Home will be the work!

I guess I will have to register our cell phone # for them to call - the last 2 miles of the road are not maintained by anyone but us, and will be treacherous after every storm.
    Which I actually like! Don't feel like company? Don't maintain the road, hahaha.
    Have packages left with neighbor? What's THAT? HAHA closest one will be miles away.

We will be at the end of the road, literally. A great BIG empty. We got 40 acres of the empty!
    no power, no water till we get the well in, no nothing!
    And we are 57!
    Must be crazy...can't wait to get there!
    Since we have horses, and it is 10 miles in on the private dirt road, we are going to call it "10 Mile Ranch".

ooohhh I'm so HAPPY :) :) :)

10. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Daaannng! Now that's isolated!
    No drop by relatives for you!!!!! :p

11. Cygnet

Cygnet Guest

I am leery of UPS deliveries. I had mortgage refinance paperwork that had to be signed the next day sent to me by UPS rather than USPS -- the UPS guy left the package with my neighbor's children. I got it okay, but I thought that was a lot of responsibility to ask of a nine year old ... (his mom doesn't speak English, the kid said the driver gave the package to him and didn't talk to his mom).

My other neighbors are adults and were home all day, so the package could have been left with them.

The FIRST time I had UPS sent to me, tho, they couldn't find my house and I had to drive 70 miles to their distribution center to get it.

Leva

12. Some people set up a lock box of sorts that is inside their property that is specifically labeled/set for UPS and FedX deliveries, so the delivery person can place the package in the box in case you are not home or so they don't have to deal with the dogs protecting the place, LOL, this insures delivery and the local UPS and FedX guys really like this set up.

13. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I have a long narrow steep private access road shared with up to two other households depending if Chuck the drunk is living in his trailer or if anybody is living in trailer just below Chuck. UPS used to force me to go to UPS center 40 miles one way to get all packages. Then they got to putting them in bag and hanging them on tree behind mailbox. Then they got to putting them in bag and walking them up driveway out of sight of county road (I preferred that method although I had driveway to myself at that time). Now ups guy insists on leaving them with Leroy, my neighbor down by mailbox. Its funny, when I check tracking number, they will say delivered to front door. They mean Leroys front door. Only hassle with Leroy is he's an old gossip, loves to talk and tell wild stories, so its sort of a couple hour process to get package and and then get away again.

14. Do make sure that the local EMS knows where you are and any pertinent medical information is on file with them, also reponse time to your place, hope you never need it, but best to be prepared, especially that far out.

15. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

UPS is a great company, Standard shipping I get my Packages in less than one week. They only had troubles a few times finding the home.

FedEX, much is Desired, anyone remember when FedEx delivered on Sundays? that didn't last.

Airborne Express, much, much, much is desired, avoid using the service.

16. bbbuddy

yep, yep, although I would not be surprised if the only EMS service we ever see would be by chopper, we already know/have been told there WILL BE NO fire department to respond...regional medical center is ~ 50 miles away. Hope we can get a permit for our planned pond/tank for fishing, fire suppression, irrigating.

I plan to wear a fanny pack at all times when out of the "house" with emergency cell phone, some first aid supplies (emergency blood stopping etc) and a loaded firearm...since I will be "alone" (big dogs etc) during the week for some time...

aaahhh ya can't live life afraid of everything that "may" happen, just be prepared to handle the worst on your own if you can... :)

17. I guess it all depends on perspective. :) Really doesn't seem all that far out, & lots of my neighbors have driveways over a mile long. (Everyone in the township is a neighbor, aren't they?) I've heard of all the problems & solutions with rural deliveries. The lock box deal is good if your UPS goes along with it.

Another thing is that your regional UPS is just fine & normal with delivering to your front door, but the 'from' regional office can't locate your address in the computer because it's not in a town, so I've heard of some problems with that (won't use Speedy agian - that is their issue). But in general, it works well. It's going to up to your regional office, if they are familiar with a rural area or not.

--->Paul

18. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

UPS will deliver to us but FedEx won't.We can't get Propane Delivered here.Had to get a Dozer to get a Well Driller back here.Thought we could get a House Trailer in here,but no way.

Thats bad thing about here it took an Hour and a Half to get me to an Ambulance one time.Had a Fire Truck turn over,after another one got stuck. :eek:

big rockpile

19. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I am glad that you all have had good experiences with UPS but I haven't. Everytime I see their commercials-- I just want to gag! I live 1/2 mile and two turns off of the main highway and they rarely can find me. Been here 5 years and had shipments from various places at least once a week and sometimes twice--- they still can't seem to find me. I will have a delivery one morning and get a postcard in the mail from them the next day saying they are unable to locate me. I have spoken to every level of management possible and had my directions put into more computer systems that I am really comfortable with-- and they still can't find me...... I just had a delivery about 10 minutes ago and the guy complained that he had been looking for me all day---- in a town of less than 250 people-- everybody knows where we live!!! Heck-- I have gone on line and found a map to my house!!
    Fed Ex is a joke. It takes 4 days for them to get a package 12 miles......

Tana Mc

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Tana out there in Kansas alll they should have to do is stand up to find you :haha:

big rockpile