Fantasizing, Should I Let The Neighbors Chicken Go In Home Depot or Walmart?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fla Gal, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

The neighbor north of us has a banty rooster that's been parading on our roof, and then in the yard. Yesterday Crashy confronted him and he did the drooped wing thing then went at her face with his feet. I ran him away from her before he could do any damage. Little cuss was meaner than the dickens! I got the owner over here to retrieve him and take him home. Charlie was back again today so we caught him. I clipped his right wing (which was obviously clipped before) and put him back over the fence.

Please keep in mind we got rid of our rooster :grump: because he crowed two mornings in a row and the neighbor complained. I'd already told the neighbor if Charlie started crowing, he'd have to get rid of him. This evening Charlie started crowing after dark. I don't want to call animal control as Charlie will likely be put down because of it. He's a fine looking rooster and would be a nice addition to a banty flock.

In Florida, possession is 9/10th's of the law but we don't want to keep him here because that would mean we might possibly be a target with all the chickens and ducks we have. Hey folks, I don't want the little guy to go to animal control because he would probably be put down.

Edited to add: Charlie is the only chicken the neighbor has and my best guess is that Charlie likes our cute chicks. :) Really made him angry after I clipped his wing and he couldn't get back over the fence. He kept up with the Bawk! Bawk! noise for almost half and hour. Guess he found out he really likes the girls after he got over the fear of the attack chickens coming after him reaction, he's still a bit young.

So... my question is, if you lived in this type situation would you let him go in Home Depot or Wal Mart? I think that someone shopping in Home Depot would be more apt to adopt him. In a Wal Mart... maybe. How 'bout a Target? Think that'd work? Eww... chicky doo on all kinds of stuff. :nana:

What would be your choice of store to turn him loose in?

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Why don't you just take his crowing butt to the chopping block and prepare some good ol' chicken stew for dinner? Heck, you can even invite the neighbor over for some of your fine home cooking.

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

We thought of putting him in the pot but there's no way we could invite anyone over unless we added something to the pot. Little sucker would give me and Mitch each a bite or two with no leftovers. :confused: Bantys are so small.

4. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

just an idea give him one of your chickens that dosent lay ar somethingso he has a buddy!

5. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

They may be small, but you can still use their little feet and carcasses for a great broth, if anything. Add celery, corn, beans, carrots, peas, and green beans... whatever veggies you prefer. I like to toss in a little white wine to give the stew a kick.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I vote for the "give him a girlfriend" idea!

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Chicken and dumplings.White gravy.

BooBoo

8. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Catch. Transport. Release into the wild.

Hey, they do it up here with nuisance bears... why not a banty rooster? :rolleyes:

Tracy

9. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Old Navy or The Gap.

10. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Give him one of your older hens for a girlfriend.

11. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Somewhere with high ceilings. You know, so he can jump around the shelves and they can never catch him.

How about a Costco? Good high ceilings, food, clothes, electronics. He could ruin all sorts of things!

Or you could just give him to the feed store. I'm sure they could find someone who wants a free banty roo.

12. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

Take him to KFC. They know what to do with a feisty rooster. If you are going to put him back over the fence, try clipping a large patch of feathers off his back so his owners will know that he went somewhere that he is unwelcome.

:cowboy:

13. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Paintball.......Do the neighbors care about him? Sounds like they dont deserve him. I am afraid if you let him go in a store parking lot someone will kill him if you let him go anywhere really hes going to get the knife.
    I like the feed store theory the best. And he BETTER stay away from Kim and Crashy!!! :nono:

14. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

he has obviously taken a liking to you or your fowl. remember biosecurity is a big priority. if your neighbor got him from a flea markets etc etc he could be carrying disease that can effect your fowl.

15. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with this picture...? People. :nana:

That said this chicken might like a new job at Wal-Mart, as a door greeter. There are lots of benefits. No dogs or cats usually. Air conditioned. Lots of excersise, what with people calling out things like "chicken in aisle 4" and such. Good selection of hours especially in a 24 hour store. Good places to roost (high ceilings)..

This is really a no brainer. :sing:

16. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

How about Home Depot I see the pigeons in there all the time they seem fine :)

Sam

17. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Can you claify the store thing? Are you going to set him free? Maybe I am slow, but I don't get it. If it is set him free, my vote is Wally World.

18. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

You think you have a problem? Deal with it. Don't, I repeat, don't dump the chicken somewhere for someone else to deal with. Either do away with the lilltle Bas**rd, talk to his owner, or accept the situation.

19. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I'm in a semi-snarky mood today, so I say set him loose in Lord and Taylor or Needless Markups (Nieman Marcus).

Or any local snobatorium. ;)

Pony!

20. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I think you should establish just who the dominate bird(s) is in this picture.You and Mitch :buds: should do the 'Chicken dance' in the yard,make sure the bird sees this.

Also leave out empty Colonel Saunders boxes in the yard :eek: .

Leave some turkey pop out thermometers laying around. :eek:

He should see the light pretty quickly.

BooBoo