Fans in the barn?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Abouttime, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

For those of you who have/had fans in your barns, do you find them a good investment? Did they help with the fly population? What type do you recommend....ceiling, corner, something else. Any hazards to be considered?

Thanks

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I used fans when I was raising broilers. They did nothing to the fly population, but they did help keep the broilers cooler and help guard against amonia build up. I used cheapo wal-mart fans, professionally mounted with bailing wire.
    Hazards are....the motors burn out pretty fast because of all the dust and dirt. They never caught on fire, but I can see a possibility.

Jena

3. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I've got one in the shed where the horses like to stand. I figure it helps keep them cooler and keeps the flies off them. I wired it up to a motion sensor. So it is only on when the horses are in!

Kathie

4. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

I have always used a fan during the July August months. I just hang it outside of the hen house open mesh window so it will pull heat out. Never have had a problem and the chickens seem to be so much cooler. Plus I have a screened window opposite to it to help pull the cool night air through. As far as flies I just hang those sticky fly catchers in hen house. They trap everything, from flies to wasps, etc. Going on 3 years now no problem.

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

the show pig barn has cheapie box fans also hung professionally by bailing wire and twine. We have a set of patio misters from wally world and with the fans and that, it is a really nice place to hang out. Does not help with the fly population however. The farrowing barn has a swamp cooler in it.

6. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Great tips, thanks all-what a great idea to have the motion sensor!

Buck-by patio misters do you mean the fans that have the attachment for a reg garden hose?

7. 3dogmom

3dogmom Well-Known Member

"hung professionally by bailing wire" :D Love it!

8. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

LittleBitfarm I like the idea of the fan on the motion sensor, that will be my next ptoject. Jay