Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up on a cattle ranch and we always had one or more "family" milk cows, mostly Hereford with some "way back" crosses to Shorthorn probably, not dairy. Then I had one 8 years ago, for a couple of years ... Gurnsey... that was really nice ... plenty of milk for a couple and raised her calf and an "extra" besides.

But I'm now in a totally different area ... Kentucky ... and have no idea what the current realistic price would be for a good family milk cow in this area.

Can anyone give me an idea what I would probably be looking at?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey SFM, we just bought a couple dairy cows, Jersey's, here in Kentucky. They were registered and ran $1400-$1800 a piece depending on age and freshness. Ours were from a registered seller, you might be able to pick one up from someone independent for less, or maybe hit the stockyards and get a bargain.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ripcat-ranch said:
Hey SFM, we just bought a couple dairy cows, Jersey's, here in Kentucky. They were registered and ran $1400-$1800 a piece depending on age and freshness. Ours were from a registered seller, you might be able to pick one up from someone independent for less, or maybe hit the stockyards and get a bargain.
Thanks ...

I did happen to talk to one of the local Amish farmers at the feed store last week when I was there and both he and the feed store guy said that if I could find what I was looking for ... family type milk cow, maybe beef/dairy cross ... I'd probably be looking at somewhere around $1000 to $1200.

Talk about sticker shock! The Gurnsey cow I had for the two years in Montana (late 90s) I swapped a yearling QH filly for ... you could buy that kind of cow pretty easily for $400 to $600 at the time, though they weren't easy to find in that region. Mostly beef cattle there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.