Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my dad has been working like mad lately, trying to pay off some bills. He's been pulling twelve hour shifts all week and ten or twelve on Saturdays, with the occasional Sunday thrown in.

He was in a motorcycle accident (doubtful it was his fault, looked like the car he hit crossed the center line) a couple years ago that crushed several of his bones, so he has several plates and screws holding him together. This would mean that he gets very sore rather easily, but tries to push himself through it.

Well, sore, exhausted dad has had his second vehicle wreck in four months, because he keeps falling asleep at the wheel. Luckily they've both been parking lot incidents, once he hit a pole, this last time (which I just found out about this morning) he just scratched someone's bumper, but tore his truck all to shreds. Add to it, he's been telling me how he keeps hurting himself at work, just from inattention... again, so not the norm for him. He's a mechanic, has been most all his life, yet suddenly he's making monthly/biweekly trips to the minor emergency center to get stitched back up.

This is NOT normal for him, he's only had one other wreck in his life before this chain, and that was more than fifteen years ago and not his fault. I am just so scared he's going to hurt himself or someone else, or worse... he's also got a good friend going through chemo, and he's the only one taking care of her; as you can imagine working all day and taking care of a cancer patient all night is draining him.

I live a few hundred miles away, and he's a very solitary person, so he really doesn't have anyone up there watching out for him... but if ya'll would send up a few prayers for him, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry to make this so long, just needed to voice my worries and request a little help from the higher up for him. :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Jen, I'm sure you've tried to have a heart to heart talk with your Dad about your concerns. It isn't easy trying to control these parents! We'll certainly add him to our prayers, and hope he gets some rest. Are you able to call the area he lives in to see if there is some type of visiting nurse program, or respite care available that would be affordable for his friend? Might take some of the burden off of him and allow him to get more rest. Jan in Co

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Prayers. Have you given him the mother talk? That you can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself first? Just point out how bad off his friend would be if he got hospitalized!

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jenn said:
Prayers. Have you given him the mother talk? That you can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself first? Just point out how bad off his friend would be if he got hospitalized!
Oh, yes ma'am I certainly have... but dad=stubborn. They just go hand in hand. *sigh*

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
One thought came to my mind when I read about all the accidents. He's obviously not getting enough sleep. Perhaps he needs to get a prescription sleeping pill from the Doc? At least until he gets through this hard stage?

I had open heart bypass surgery 3 years ago and I've never been able to sleep right since then. The doctors don't know why. I take 1/2 of a 5 mg Valium every night and it helps me to sleep 5-6 hours pretty soundly.

His trauma of so many crushed bones, plates and screws may have affected his sleep as well.

On top of that, I have severe sleep apnea and have used a cpap machine for the last 8-9 years.

Without the valium and the cpap, I wouldn't be getting any sleep and I would truly be a hazard on the highway.

Anyhow, I hope he gets straightened out. I'll pray for him.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I would explain to him, that there is a really possiblity, that if he keeps getting hurt the company might let him go! Tell him he needs a shorter week for a while and help him find help with his friend.. Prayers for you and your dad...QB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts