Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, really just half the family. It's the women folk. The guys are willing to cut her some slack 'cause she's cute as a button in a tom-boyish sort of way. Anyway, she and my nephew have been together for about three years and she's in graduate school studying international relations or some such thing. But she just seems to rub my sister and some of my nieces the wrong way. I'll admit that they're a bit of an uptight bunch and some of them are fairly new mothers, some for the first time, and that makes them nuts. And and more than a few of them are a bit xenophobic and get in a huff then the girlfriend says anything about Europe. Things usually go fairly until it comes to the children. In fact the girlfriend is usually content to hang out with the nephew and the guys. But children just seem drawn to her because she is fun. In no time they're crowded around her with their bare feet up in the air so that she can play "This little piggy." Then, my sister will growl under her breath, "Oggie, she's doing it again." "Doing what?" I'll ask. "You know, that French thing, " she'll answer. "what French thing, " I'll ask. Then, she'll say, "She's saying 'Oui, Oui, Oui, all the way home' instead of 'Wee, Wee Wee'." Once, one of the nieces confronted her about it and the girlfriend pretended to not know what the heck she's talking about. I've mentioned it to the nephew and he said, "Come on, Uncle Oggie, I might be young but I'm not stupid. I'm not going to walk into a cat fight between my mom and my cousins!" So, it's obvious that he isn't going to do anything about it. And he thinks it's cute that she says "Oui." I'm afraid that my sister and nieces are over reacting. They probably think that their little angle children are going to end up at some sidewalk bistro, dunking their beef sandwiches in broth, wearing funny little hats, eating snails, refusing to pronounce their Ts, and writing words with letters that end in an X that has no sound.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like they are all jealous because she is 'cute as a button' and getting an advanced education. Probably really riles them that their own kids 'prefer' to play with her. lol! If I was the nephew I'd totally ignore it, it isn't even worth a response from either of them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
This is about the craziest thing. Oui and wee sound alike to people that speek french. This is not the problem. The women in your family have the probem, Glad I will not be at any of the family get togethers in your family. Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Just so she doesn't teach them 'ooh la la' the only thing DD8 can recall in Frnech....

·
Dallas
13,903 Posts
she's cute as a button in a tom-boyish sort of way
which is probably what sets off the other women folk -- they get 'catty' which I am sure Oggie doesn't like. Perhaps someone should ask them privatly what their problem really is.

·
Banned
7,802 Posts
Sounds like they are all jealous because she is 'cute as a button' and getting an advanced education. Probably really riles them that their own kids 'prefer' to play with her. lol! If I was the nephew I'd totally ignore it, it isn't even worth a response from either of them.
Oggie, I think this is another one of your jokes LOL, but if it isn't then I agree with Rondah.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just so she doesn't teach them 'ooh la la' the only thing DD8 can recall in Frnech....
That would be priceless...assuming you get to watch from a distance. LOL.

As a woman, I need to agree with the others and say it sounds like the women are having jealousy issues. There's never an easy solution to that problem.

·
Karaoke Queen
964 Posts
I had to read the original post twice because I honestly thought it was a joke! I'm still not sure if Oggie's serious or not!

If this is for real, the females in this family... ummm...have some real issues! I feel sorry for the nephew's GF.

If it's Oggie jokin' around - Good one! You got us.

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
I'm thinking it's a joke and with all Oggie's fascinating posts I'm thinking Oggie is the one that is "as cute as a button!"

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Sounds like petty bickering to me. Make sure that you treat it as such and maybe it will go away.

Wanna know who wins a family war?

NOBODY.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Is she also guilty of tossing the dog a "bon"???

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
she's a french spy. They can only be purified by fire.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts