False teeth?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dave85, Sep 7, 2005.

1. dave85

dave85 dave85

I don't have any other place to ask this.
    I haven't been to a dentist in years, due to a horrible experience as a child. I'm 60 now and have a couple of lose teeth.
    so, I'm asking if anybody has any input on getting your teeth pulled and false ones.
    Can you leave them in all the time?
    also, are they maintenence free as I will be dropping my insurance in a couple of years.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    For the loose teeth try an electric tooth brush, it increases the blood circulation which might help.

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have tons of experience getting teeth messed with...be careful who does it. I got some top ones root canaled, and it has taken me a few YEARS to get my nose to stop running. Nerve damage.
    Also once they are pulled the bone will start to deterorate, and will erode over time. Like if you live another 30 years. Dentures will have to be adjusted (eventually) to the bone structure. But cheaper than insurance. No one I know leaves them in all the time, you gotta clean them too.
    Just my 2 cents.

4. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I had mine pulled a few years back (I'm 31 now). I can't stand them so I never wear them.

You can eat just about anything with your gums (except apples, nuts, stuff like that).

My family has a calcium defiency is why I lost mine. But I wouldn't bother with dentures..

One thing I don't suggest, getting them all pulled at once. Wow!! OUCH!!

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Now PCdreams, I got several of mine pulled at once, It was better than going back all the time. One fell swoop, as they say. You can get implants, you know. $1000 a tooth, but you can.
    You want ouch? Have 3 babies naturally. That's an ouch you never forget.

6. pcdreams

LOL yea I can't imagine that. May just have been my dentist. I would have opt for pulling the top then the bottom in two seperate settings.

$1000 a tooth. Wow how many teeth in the human skull? 30 some. Think I'd rather invest that in property :nana:

7. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Dave ~ I had all the top teeth removed in '81..They did the rear teeth first & left the front 6..Made the impression & had my teeth ready to put in the day I had the remaining teeth taken out...I went with a friend & ate chicken fried steak that evening...I had them relined in a couple months as the gums healed & changed & have had little trouble with them all these years..I wear them all the time...take them out to clean of course ...I'm making arrangements to have a complete set done & hope it will work as well..I have friends who don't wear theirs...but that doesn't work for me...! Good luck... GrannieD

8. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I'm afraid I'm going to contradict PCdreams. Had to get uppers because of a calcium problem myself. Doc wouldn't pull em all at once(actually they wanted to do $10,000 worth of work instead and I said pull em!). OMG was that a mistake! Get it over with all at once. Dentures do take getting used to. After all there is a large artificial object in your mouth. Kind of reminded me of when I had to wear a retainer. After several weeks you finally get used to them and don't think about them unless they start to get loose. I have to take mine out at night and soak them. I hate when I forget because I have dragon breath in the morning. A little bleach in soak once every week or two keeps them fresh and clean. I don't know how anyone could eat without their dentures.....I know some folks do but I can't. In this area dentures aren't very expensive so if something happens to them(like the dog got a hold of them.....yes it happened) they aren't too aweful expensive to replace. During the first 6 months you will have to have them refitted a couple of times and then maybe every 3-6 yrs after that. Use the powder adhesive rather than the other stuff....works better. They have come a long ways in this area of dentistry. It's hard to tell dentures from real teeth now. Mine look really nice.

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

my mom has denture woes...
    many many yrs ago (about 30 I think) she had her uppers pulled, and a local old dentist custome made her a set of porcilain dentures, thst youd swear were real teeth, it was a work of art. fo all those yrs, they were so well made, she could eat anything, they were tight, sharp and fine.
    then they cracked, and she said well its 30 yrs later, new ones will be great.
    bad plastic
    acrylic teethm they are not sharp and they wear down.

the fir was not right, even after refits.
    so she found a dentist to repait her old ones, and she uses those still.

the days of craftsman ship are long gone.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They stay in all the time except that you take them out to brush then put them right back. My teeth all were very soft, not enough calcium and just broke off one after the other. Try to keep bottom teeth as long as you can because it is harder to get a good fit on the bottom.

12. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Dave, if you only have 2 teeth that are loose, maybe it would be worth it to just have them checked. Check around with others in your area to find a dentist they really like and trust. It's possible there's just a minor problem with those teeth (course you didn't mention the condition of the rest of your teeth).

Most of us dread the dentist; many of us have had bad experiences. I finally found one I really like, along with his staff, but I still dread having to go. They have a sign on their waiting room wall that applies to me - which says "We cater to cowards!" I'm one and told them so up front, LOL.

It's a lot easier having your own teeth, as long as they're in good condition. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

13. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I had all my teeth removed under IV sedation and woke up with new temp falsies..got my permanent ones and can eat anything which is more than I can say about my horrible real teeth. People are always surprized that my teeth aren't real...they'll even make 'em slightly crooked if you want! D/t malnutrition as kids myself and my brothers and sis all have false teeth now..only so many root canals they can do! Tooth pain is the pits. And how about growing up going to a dentist who didn't freeze your mouth...was shocked when a kid at school told me about novacaine!!! No wonder I have severe dental phobia. But dentists today will even prescribe you Ativan or something to take before your appointment for anxiety and with IV sedation or gas you can have massive amts of work done with no pain. Amazing how I've managed to raise kids who willingly go to the dentist! DEE

14. pcdreams

they knocked you out. WOW. I was wide awake (not even gassed). That was no fun!!

15. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If you haven't been to a dentist in years, you probably have a great deal of calculus. This stuff builds up like a hard second layer of enamel and goes under the gums, destroying the bone. Get your teeth cleaned (they used to use a drill to break off the calculus, but now will use sound vibrations) After the cleaning and lecture, your gums can be stimulated to move up (down) and cover the roots. You can even get the bone to regrow, discuss with your dentist.

Vitamin C deficiency can cause gums to bleed or become swollen, or to hurt. Put yourself on a Vit C supplement.

As suggested above, a good electric toothbrush is better than manual. Use one that has a brush that turns around in circles.

16. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Mutti - I have no idea what state you're in but I wish I had your dentist!

17. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

I had problems with very soft teeth something to do with fevers as a child, at least that is what they told me. I had a lot of work done to try and save my teeth and when fillings would fall out withen weeks of doing them I finally had first my top teeth pulled then my bottom. I can eat most anything but I don't wear the bottom teeth all the time as they need replacing. I had the top replaced a few years back. But do me careful who you see ask around for referrals and if you don't feel comfortable with the dentist try someone else. They maybe able to fix your teeth and it is worth the effort.

RenieB

18. dave85

dave85 dave85

I'm in property management and this lady rented from me while doing her internship. I was impressed with how she described her patients. (with compassion)
    Any way, tomorrow is the day.
    Will see what she says.
    I love this forum.
    Dave

19. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Its not the drill, its the bill that hurts the most. Might check on a month vacation in Mexico. Dentists there charge quarter what American dentists charge. Full set of implants there might be no more expensive than a top of line set of dentures here.

20. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had my dentures about 13 years, the only time I take them out is to clean them and put the glue on them to hold them in. I waited too long and lost lots of bone before I had all mine pulled and got dentures, therefore the dentures do not fit like they would if I had the bone to hold them in. (Hence the denture cream)

I didn't have the funds to get the good ones, so got the cheapy ones made of plastic. They have served me well. My only problem I love eating crunchy things like extra crispy fried chicken and once in a while I will break a tooth. So far I haven't swallowed one, I just keep super glue with me and glue the tooth back in.

Your best bet will be when you get all yours pulled, get the new ones put in immediately. You will get use to them quicker. Some people will take theirs out at night, but not me. When I'm without mine more than 10 or 15 minutes my jaws start hurting.