False Sense of Security in the Country

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KindredSpirit, Aug 21, 2006.

1. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

My DH and I have been looking for property in Missouri about an hour from our house. The town has approximately 1,115 people. We drive through the quaint little town and out about 5 or 6 miles to an area that is very pretty. We were just there this last weekend driving around. Most of the land is still farmer owned and you can drive for miles and see very few houses. Just beautiful. There are very few areas where the houses are only on a few acres. I told my husband this weekend how much I loved the solitude there. I also was thinking it would be nice to be out of the fairly big city we are in and in the country where we didn't have to worry about crime, as there is hardly anyone around!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14429807/

:eek:

Well, that illusion was shattered.

2. urbanfarmer

urbanfarmer Well-Known Member

Don't you think having one or two serial killers in a rural remote area is better than 20 or more that some cities probably have lurking around?

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Wow, that would creep a person out! Good thing you were not visiting land that you already bought. But. Crime is everywhere; you won’t be able to get away from it.

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

crime IS everywhere, in the country it is so ramdom and infrequent that it catches people totally off guard. example.

few years ago. farmer near my farm is watching a bulldozer operator work over his farm. a car drives down the road, lets off a teenager who walks up to the farmer in his truck....sticks a gun in his face demands money, then he walks the farmer to the dozer operator and robs him. tells them to face down, walks back to the road and waits for his ride to return. gets away..

i think to my self, not letting that happen to me....purchase a stainless colt 45 and rig. wear it anytime i was on the farm....until the kids were born and i hid all the firearms.....but see, it COULD happen tomarrow...and the law....well they would show up in an hour or two.

the big thing a year or two was to follow older walmart shoppers back to their house and rob them.

5. KindredSpirit

Yeah, we almost bought some land just down the road from there last year.

6. KindredSpirit

Yeah, but I am always watching my back in town. I EXPECT it. I am not naive, I know crime happens everywhere. It's just a shocker when you are driving in that exact area to look on a peaceful sunny day. As to whether it is better to have two serial killers in a remote area or 20 in the city. That is anyone's guess. I think people's guard is down in the country, and it is easier to do things there without being seen. Obviously, it happens everywhere, just common in our society now.

7. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Where I live it really is still safe. I leave the trucks unlocked, same with the doors and windows.

8. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:cowboy:

I did some checking on the crime stats for this area. During the 2002-2004 reporting period there were NO murders. None of the other towns within a 20 mile radius had reported any murders during that period either. I definitely can't say that about the area I'm living in now. Just this year the was a murder only a few blocks from where I live. That is typical around here. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to move there if I had a chance.

There is a saying in news reporting: if it bleeds, it leads. It isn't considered "newsworthy" to report about all the positive aspects of living in rural areas. Of course it does make for great reading in Countryside Magazine.

:cowboy:

9. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

I lived in the country in Leslie, MO. Go live around there. It is about 60 miles west of st. louis and it was very nice and no crime and very pleasant.

10. KindredSpirit

I think you are right about the "newsworthy" thing. I think it is still a safe area to move to. They haven't had a murder there in years before this. I guess you just want to think there is one place around you that isn't tainted!

11. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

If I read the article correctly, the people he killed were drug acquaintances. He killed them, kept their money and their drugs. If you're not into that scene, you'd probably never run into someone like that ... not that innocent people are never killed by serial killers, just not likely that you would have been hurt by this character.

But do let me say, the little community where we are building our dream home has been plagued by meth users and their labs. I don't plan on running into them, but we do keep our guard up on our property and possessions. Better safe than sorry.

12. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

I just checked the murder stats for my area. Within a 20 mile radius there were over 200 murders during the 2002-2004 period. Does that give you a better idea why I'm so anxious to move?

13. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

In many rural areas the numbers might seem low but when put in percentages with population the percentages are many times higher. The crime in my area is growing every day and in most cases due to rampant drug use and making. Crystal Meth and oxycontin are the drugs of choice. Robbery is the biggest problem as they will steal anything they can. Rural areas also tend to have corrupt law enforcement which leads to false statistics and lax enforcement for some.
    Murder was a crime that never bothered me as most are friends or relatives that kill each other.

14. KindredSpirit

Yeah, being a parent I don't worry as much about my husband and I as I do our 17 year old daughter.

15. RollrXGirl

RollrXGirl Member

There's definitely a different kind of nervousness I feel here in the country as opposed to how I felt living in Los Angeles. Almost immediately after moving out here (2 months ago) I realized something wasn't quite right with the neighborhood and after speaking with some (friendly) neighbors it turns out there's quite a bit of the meth problem around here. But the only situations that have happened I've been told come from the drugged up methheads who either cause car accidents by speeding on the dark country roads or the rare break-in as well. There's some of these folks living RIGHT near me and it does scare the bejeezus out of me thinking they're walking around on my land at night or worse, going to break in to my house. I honestly never felt like that in LA because my neighbors were so close by and I had no land to speak of. My big dog does ease my mind some but I'm definitely going to have to get another dog that won't be afraid to tear some limbs if necessary. There's definitely some trade offs living in the country - I think I had more of a false sense of security living in the city honestly but I wouldn't trade what I've got here for anything.

16. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

After reading most of the article I couldn't help but notice that all of the people he killed were from KANSAS CITY and not one of them was from Drexel. What's more, all of them were in some way connected with drugs.

I would say that a decent, law abiding citizen would have nothing to fear from Mr. Shaver. (He sure looks a lot older than 33).

Donsgal

17. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

In rural areas there seems to be more meth and robberies, but less murders and other crimes.

There's a lot of meth around here. Ruins promising lives every day.

That stuff if crap, pure stupid poison. :flame:

18. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Look at it this way they already have the killer its safe now .
    actually the reason rural areas cost so much is because meth makers are trying to buy ground further away from town to set up labs. Not really just in some areas.

19. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

Actually, if your choose to live in a truly rural area, the only real security you will have is that which you create yourself. You will be your own 911. To expect otherwise I'm afraid will lead to disapointment.

20. tuvold

tuvold Well-Known Member

Hey,

Excellent advise. Coming from a city life, where there are LEOs driving around all over the place and multiple EMSfacilities, to a rural life where the nearest fire department might be 10-15 miles away and the county mountie is way on the other side of the county, it might surprise you how long the response time can be. And that's if they aren't tied up on a horrendous car accident or some other emergency.

My 2 coppers,

tuvold