False Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Well, here's my inexperience showing again :help: . Freyja is due Nov 1. She's running around her cage today with mouthfuls of hay trying to build a nest. It's day 19. Am I right in assuming that she is having a false pregnancy? From what I read, it seems like it's in the right time frame for a false pregnancy. I've given her a little box and some straw to amuse herself with.

Any ideas, thoughts, experiences would be so appreciated.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm... I have no experience with false pregnancies either. It is the right time for that, but it could also be simply that she is "rehearsing" for the big event. Nesting behaviour must be triggered by hormone changes and they would be rather individual, I should think. I've had does play at nest-building well in advance of kindling - Day 25 at a guess. Just hang in there, think positively and don't let Thyme's miss affect your optimism.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and Freyja... even though it makes it hard to type! :)

3. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Well, she never made a nest, just ran around with mouthfuls of hay and straw for a while. Made a mess, basically. But she enjoyed herself. I don't know, may-be she is, may-be she's not. Will know soon enough.

Thanks, MaggieJ, for the encouragement & kind words.

Here's my silly girl being, well, a dumb bunny :)
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. MaggieJ

Hilda, she's a very pretty "dumb bunny". I think it likely she was just having fun with the materials. Rabbits like to play. Her middle looks a little on the thick side to me... I always ask my pregnant does: "Well, do you have buns in the oven?" So far they always have, although I had one young doe who didn't care for hers and they died. :(

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Very pretty bunny-girl there, Hilda!

In my experience, those "bred" does who begin the nesting behaviour around day 17 or so, are usually going through a false pregnancy.

You could let her calm down from her current nesting frenzy, then put her in with the buck again. I'll bet she'll accept his attention.

Good Luck!

NeHi Mama

6. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

7. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

I've heard to put her back quickly after a false pregnancy. I'm just worried that if she is pregnant, would putting her with a male harm her in anyway or cause her to abort? I understand rabbits can lose litters very easily.

PS Thanks for the compliment, NehiMama :)

8. MaggieJ

Hilda, I know a lot of breeders put the doe back with the buck right after a false pregnancy, but since there is relatively little tlme now before she is due, I would not do it. If she is pregnant she will either reject the male or - if she accepts - could start a second pregnancy in the other horn of her uterus - never a good thing. I think it is better to just wait and see.