Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a beautiful red boer buck that I used for the first 2 years I had goats. I tried to get him registered with the info I was given. Couldn't track down one of the owners on record and the lady I got him from is a little nuts(and I am being kind). I didn't pay registered price for him so I was not disappointed just trying to get a bit more for him when I sold him.
Well I was looking through some goat classifieds and found a picture of my old buck. He was very unusual so I am 99% sure it was him. He would be 3 this year. He had been clipped and cleaned up . I e-mailed the lady and inquired about him she said he was registered and named off several enobled bloodlines and a birth date a year sooner than my buck. I asked where he was from and to see his pedigree as I didn't want to buy my bucks brother.
Mine sold for 90.00 at the sale. She was wanting 900.00. Never have heard back from her?? Makes you wonder?? It wouldn't be hard to make false papers and be dishonest. I could be wrong but it made me think twice about ABGA all they ask for is a brief color description. I wonder when they will have to go to genetic testing. I would like to be sure of what I was getting for 900.00 or even 300.00

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wow, and see Bob (hubby) was asking me about just that type of thing... how do you know for sure... lol. I guess unless the ABGA begins to require dna testing you may never know.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Chris...ahem, like I said in another thread, there is no relationship between price and quality in goats. Your story has all the right elements to prove that, including two very important ones that usually always factor in to such scams.

All I get when I buy is what the owner wishes to tell me and maybe some papers.

Oh, several in the other thread say I'm wrong, which is entirely their right. But I sure wish everyone had been at the farm sale I was at 3 months ago. They had advertised 16 "Boer goats" for sale, with no papers, and said they were good bloodlines and pregnant. Half had kidded by the sale, so they sold them as pairs. The kids were out of *** I DUNNO *** one of the 3 bucks they sold, each of which was wildly different conformationally from the others.

Those were the wormiest, ugliest, mixed-blood kinda rundown things with some scouring. Yet 100+ people showed at the sale. I'd brought my trailer, but that crowd was my clue to shut up and watch ONLY.

Sure enough, they went for $150-300 each. They'd have brought $50 each at the sale barn.

Price: The amount a willing buyer will give a willing seller for an item at a given point in time.

Someone will end up buying your old buck for $900. I can even describe the person. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can tell you that once I made the mistake of buying a fancy schmancy Hereford bull without getting the papers in my hand at the time of the sale. BIG mistake.

The guy I bought him from was the ranch manager/significant other of the lady rancher. He basically stole the bull by selling it to me without permission.

Never ever pay big bucks without seeing papers first. :hobbyhors

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that I would pay 900.00 for a buck I already owned. How ,if someone else was buying this guy, would they know he was the real thing?All ABGA asks for is a brief description (with boers usually red head white body) so what would keep someone from giving you papers on a buck or doe they bought at a sale from another animal that had died.So you look at him, look at the description, an say yup red head white body thats him??

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Well, there are lots of stories about folks lying about pedigrees/papers. Only foolproof way is DNA testing. This includes Dairy goats. In the meantime, it just proves the
saying so many on this forum have said..."Get thee to a reputable breeder. Only work with a breeder you trust. Don't be afraid to pay a fair price (higher than newspaper ads) to said breeder."
I would also add that it doesn't hurt to ask for references.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
copperpennykids said:
Well, there are lots of stories about folks lying about pedigrees/papers. Only foolproof way is DNA testing. This includes Dairy goats. In the meantime, it just proves the
saying so many on this forum have said..."Get thee to a reputable breeder. Only work with a breeder you trust. Don't be afraid to pay a fair price (higher than newspaper ads) to said breeder."
I would also add that it doesn't hurt to ask for references.
Yep yep. Ditto all of the above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts