Falling a huge tree

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by renee o'neill, Oct 29, 2004.

1. renee o'neill

renee o'neill Well-Known Member

Another post got me thinking and I'll ask this question.We have a once grand spruce planted about 200 yrs ago by the builders of our cabin well lighting has killed the great tree and now it needs to come down.We want the lumber milled for floors and for keepsake boxes for the man who lived here ,he is 90 and 1 each for our five daughters.Has any one dropped a tree this large? its about 6 stores high.Do you haave to climb it or can a cut be made just at the base?There is a field next to it on one side but my house is 10 ft on the other.I am thinking we need to leave it to a pro but heck its worth asking!

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I hope it goes well for you. I have almost identical situation, I have a huge white spruce about 15 feet from my house, it is still live, but am worried that a strong wind may bring it down on my head! One saving grace for this tree is that it is on the south side, and leaning away from the house.
    Yes, I would leave it to the pros!

3. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

With all due respect- you don't sound as if you have a lot of logging experience. People are killed every year dropping small trees for firewood. This is a BIG tree. I know we all like to "do it yourself", but this time, call a pro.

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

let a pro with INSurance fell the tree and you can cut it up :)

Shouldn't cost too much to get it on the ground, unless there are wires or problems dropping the tree where it needs to go.

5. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I agree - let a pro do this. In a neighboring town last year someone had a much smaller tree felled and it dropped the wrong way and killed an elderly lady in her house. I have left any large trees to the pros - if they don't have to clean up it's not that expensive and well worth it!

6. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Hire a pro to fall it and then cut it up yourselves.Most pro loggers will do this for beer money.

7. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

If you have plenty of open room for it to fall, then let it drop. Since it is next to the house, you can do like my father in law did when we cut his. Throw a lie up in the top of the tree. We used fishing string with a heavy weight, then tied it to a larger rope. We then pulled the rope up, and attached it to a come along, and pulled the tree in the direction we wanted it to fall, then cut the base. We took down 5- 80 foot pines like this that were next to the house. No problems.

8. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Better get a professional tree man with insurance.

Be very careful just hiring a common logger.
    Most common loggers don't know how to fall
    or take down trees close to houses.

Most loggers just cut trees and let them fall where the fall in the woods, and do damage to other good trees around them. This does not cost them anything.

If the logger works for some one else they do not have insurance to cover any damage to your home, and If he gets hurt or some one else then you could be sued.

Your insurance would probably not cover him either.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

with big trees, sometimes when the base snaps from the trunk, the branches as they hit the ground can act like a spring and recoil the tree in the opposite direction you are pulling, which in a tree this huge would go through the cabin like a knife through butter. the rope will not help prevent this since the tensoin will be lost as the tree starts to fall

10. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

If you do decide to get it felled by an insured professional, then deal with it yourself on the ground, be careful. A big tree is heavy, and if it's propped up on a random nest of branches (the tree-top) then the way it's balanced may not be obvious. Lots of people have been killed cutting the branches on a down tree, then having the tree roll, shift or kick when they weren't expecting it. Can happen real quick without warning.

11. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I have a bit of a funny story about falling a tree. For the past two years we have been wanting to take down this big black walnut that we knew wasn't healthy. We don't cut down trees so we were affraid we would fall it across the fence and into the house or worse on top of us LOL. Well after two years of standing by the fence and talking about it, this summer a storm came up and blew it down right into the pasture the way we wanted it to fall. It was leaning the tward the house that is why we didn't try it. Well as we stood there looking at how perfectly it came down, my husband said he was real gald he was spacific about saying just where he wanted it to fall and he was suprized god would give him a hand because he is not a church goer. LOL He is the most kind and best man I have ever known so I was tickeled about the way it all turned out.

12. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

I had the same problem making way for a swimming pool. I got a pair of guys that work for the rural electric service to do it on their off day. They climbed the tree like squirrels, put a rope on the limbs and had it all on the grond in less than an hour. No muss, no fuss. If you attempt this on your own, you are either an expert who does this sort of thing for a living or you are not playing with a full deck. Listen to the voice of experience. This "do it yourself" attitude in this case could either get you killed or maimed or cost you a fortune. Let the pros handle this one.

13. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Listen to the majority. I can cut down a tree and make it land where I want it to. If it was me looking at that size of a tree, I'd be calling in the professionals too. Felling a tree of that size needs limbs trimmed off and some pros like to "top it", meaning they cut off the top like it was a small tree in itself, before they bring the rest of it down.

When dealing with it yourself once it is on the ground, please! Please!!! Be very, very aware that the limbs that heavy trunk is resting on can and will kill if given the chance. Trim off the limbs on top side first so you can see what you're doing and eliminate some of the weight. Limbs that are sticking out to the sides and not touching the ground can come off next. Study it at every chance you can and see what limbs are supporting that heavy trunk! Section the trunk into as small a pieces as you intend to use for the floors (6'-10'). It's going to take muscle and great thought so no one gets hurt or killed. Use something like an engine lift for leverage to raise one end. You don't want to be within reach of the trunk and you do want a chance to run for it if it starts tumbling around. A rented engine lift is cheaper and easier to replace than a torn off head or leg. The idea is to take pressure off the limbs being rested upon by the trunk.

Cut carefully and Do Not Work on it While Tired! Mistakes happen most often when you're tired and then will not be the time to goof!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TXlightningbug :yeeha: