Fall Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Aug 1, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

The below is paraphrased from an article by San Antonio Extension Horticulturist Dr. Jerry Parsons:

"Plant long-term, frost-tolerant vegetables together. Frost-tolerant vegetables include beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chard, collards, garlic, kale, lettuce, mustard, onions, parsley, spinach and turnips. Group short-term, frost-susceptible vegetables together so that they can be removed when they die after the first frost. Frost-susceptible vegetables include beans, cantaloupes, corn, cucumbers, eggplants, okra, peas, peppers, Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, tomatoes and watermelons. (Planting a cereal rye cover crop facilitates frost protection if such a grouping system is used.)

Keep in mind the relative maturity rate, average height and frost sensitivity of various garden vegetables. FS crops (frost-susceptible) will die or be damaged by temperatures below 32 degrees F. FT crops (frost-tolerant) can withstand temperatures below 32 degrees F.

The quick (30-60 days) maturing vegetables are:
    Beets (1 ½ feet) FT
    Bush beans (1 ½ feet) FS
    Leaf lettuce (1 foot) FT
    Mustard (1 ½ feet) FT
    Radishes (1 ½ feet) FT
    Spinach (1 foot) FT
    Summer squash (3 feet) FS
    Turnips (1 ½ feet) FT
    Turnip greens (1 ½ feet) FT

The moderate (60-80 days) maturing vegetables are:
    Broccoli (3 feet) FT
    Chinese cabbage (1 ½ feet) FT
    Carrots (1 foot) FT
    Cucumbers (1 foot) FS
    Corn (6 feet) FS
    Green onions (1 ½ feet) FT
    Kohlrabi (1 ½ feet) FT
    Lima bush beans (1 ½ feet) FS
    Okra (6 feet) FS
    Parsley (1 ½) FT
    Peppers (3 feet) FS
    Cherry tomatoes (4 feet) FS

The slow (80 days or more) maturing vegetables are:
    Brussels sprouts (2 feet) FT
    Bulb onions (1 ½ feet) FT
    Cabbage (1 ½ feet) FT
    Cantaloupes (1 foot) FS
    Cauliflower (3 feet) FT
    Eggplant (3 feet) FS
    Garlic (1 foot) FT
    Irish potatoes (2 feet) FS
    Pumpkins (2 feet) FS
    Sweet potatoes (2 feet) FS
    Tomatoes (4 feet) FS
    Watermelon (1 foot) FS
    Winter squash (1 foot) FS"

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are in zone 8. Should we plant fall garden now? What are you doing about that? We laid more row drip tape today and filled in with melons. Hope they make it before the frost.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm zone 8 also, but this year with all the cooler weather the tomatoes are still producing like mad ( harvested over 100 lbs day before yesterday). Have very little garden space open as the second round of squash is already in, and the other space being taken up by sweet potatoes. Not sure if I will plant a third crop of green beans or bite the bullet and get the fall chinese pea pods in. Most everything else can wait till later in the fall like the lettuce and spinach.

4. tara313134

tara313134 Member

I don't bother much with warm season vegetables. It is just too hot here and I get too poor of results for all the extra work involved and the shorter growing span compared with cool season planting.

Lately, I have been starting flats for the fall through winter season. At this time, I mostly start those from the collards/kale family since they are a much stronger group, especially collards. It is tough still because they grow slow after the first couple of weeks, but instead they are in their prime shape by October for planting.