Homesteading Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE BE SURE AND READ EVERY WORD -- EVEN IF YOU AVE PARTICIPATED IN A SWAP BEFORE. SOME THINGS HAVE CHANGED![/

This is the official posting thread for the "50's THEME QUILT" theme
quilt block swap. Anything pertaining to this swap should be posted in this thread only.

1. Please be sure and read all --each and every word (please) of these instructions/direction. It will also be your responsibility to read all instruction and to check this thread often for any changes, updates, new instructions, corrections, additions, or other information. It will also be your responsibility to post at a minimum of bi-weekly ON THIS THREAD to let the hostess and other participants know how your progressing and to verify you are still in and on schedule.

2. In order to participate, you must be a current active poster of the Cooking and Crafts forum for at least a month prior to signing up. Minor children of forum members are welcome to participate with the parent; however, the parent is responsible for the blocks of the children and following all rules just as they would their own blocks. Please understand the children you sign up you are making yourself responsible for submitting that set of blocks as well as your own. The parent is also responsible for overseeing the block progress and submitting a reasonably acceptable block (we don't expect perfection from anyone ).

3. The deadline to sign up for the swap will be August 18th. Sign up below!

4. The deadline to mail your blocks and post your delivery confirmation numbers – October 6th.

5. HALOHEAD is the hostess for this swap and will PM all those signing up with her mailing address. She will also be posting regularly and have a few little surprises up her sleeve! Stay tuned!!

6. The theme for this swap is "50's THEME QUILT". This means that the fabric and block you select should have an appropriate style and print for this theme. Think poodle skirts, 50's cars, Elvis, etc.

For this swap we will be despensing with that rule and accept larger prints with these conditions:

Larger pattern must be centered on 'piece' so as to show full pattern. (you can use a 4" Elvis print, but you must use all/enough of him, not cut off his head and arms so he looses his identity.)

Larger patterns can be used as applique. (dancing Elvis centered on 12 1/2" block.)​

7. We will be using DMC color floss as our guideline for the colors. You won't use the floss in your block (although you could if your doing embroidery, etc.), but it is just a guide so when we say "blue" we all know what shade of blue we are talking about. Your fabric doesn't have to match the floss exactly — just as long as your in the immediate ballpark. You don't use all the colors (although you could) — just so your predominate color is one or two of these colors. Your filler fabric will be standard white muslin. Since we will be getting blocks from all over the country (and often from all over the world) and since everyone is at a different skill level, by coordinating the colors and size of the print, each and every block will fit together beautifully. Samples of the colors are shown below: however, please remember that monitors reflect different colors and you should not rely on this site or any other for the actual color. You will need to use the floss itself as your guide:

DMC colors:

aqua 3766
pink 3713
brown 801
white muslin

8. Of course the choice of fabric for quilting is 100% cotton; however, we all understand that some people can either not afford all cotton, or that it is not available locally for everyone. Therefore, please select a fabric that has the highest amount of cotton you are able, but no more than 50/50 cotton poly.

9. You should launder your fabric, dry it (in a dryer if at all possible), and press it before making your blocks. This is VERY important! This will ensure that any shrinkage has resulted so that when the quilt is put together some blocks won't shrink, while others do and pull at the seams or unbalance the quilt. Please do not use any fabric softener since many are allergic to it.

10. If you have failed to follow through on ANY previous swap (quilt or otherwise) you cannot participate in this swap. Also, if you are not absolutely certain you will be able to complete the swap, do not sign up. We count on each one to follow through on the swap and the total number of blocks, size of the quilt, etc. is dependant upon the participants. If you drop out, you totally mess up the quilt. We all understand how emergencies happen, things come up, or time just gets away from us; and we will gladly accommodate those instances within reason if you keep in touch and let us know your problem -- but not at the last minute, please. It is the ones who just don't send them in, leave everyone hanging, or drop out toward the end that create a huge problem for us. Forum policy is that if you don't complete a swap, your banned from any future swaps. Harsh policy, I know; however, it has been such an ongoing problem that we had to try to eliminate it as much as possible. People are counting on you!

11. We will be doing approx. one block per person who signs up — plus one extra for the hostess as a thank you for all her work. We generally have approx. 20-30 people who sign up. If we were to only have 10 people sign up, then you would make 2 per person, etc. Our hostess will give you the complete total of how many blocks to make at the end of the sign up period.

12. You should attach a slip of paper, pinned to each of your blocks, with your forum username and state. This way we all know who made which block.

13. IMPORTANT: When completed, you will mail your blocks to the hostess VIA DELIVERY CONFIRMATION and post your delivery confirmation to this thread, and be sure that you have the post office scan the delivery confirmation (due to past PO problems we cannot trust just dropping them in a box with the DC on it. Please actually go to the window and have it scanned.). You are to include a self-addressed stamped mailing envelope in your package for the return of your blocks. Please be certain you include extra postage in case the package doesn't weigh the same as the one you sent. Often the weight of materials varies and a little of each adds up. The hostess will sort the squares and you will be getting back one from each of the other participants. You MUST also include a paid for, and completely filled out, Delivery Confirmation slip for the return of your blocks.

14. Anyone who fails to mail by the due date, and post their delivery confirmation number to this thread, will be considered a no show and will not receive a return package. THERE WILL NO LONGER BE ANY EXCEPTIONS. It is everyone's responsibility to follow the directions and do so on time.

15. It is very important that you remember to come back to these instructions prior to mailing and read through them again to be sure you have followed all of the procedures. Many are forgetting to submit their blocks with their identity slips and post-paid envelopes.

16. Your blocks are to measure an accurate 12 1/2" square. It is helpful if you either purchase or make yourself a 12 1/2" template to square up your blocks before mailing them. This way, all the blocks will fit together especially for those who are not as skilled at "working in" odd sized blocks. You can either make a cardboard template for this purpose or there are ones you can purchase that will last for many years. If your block comes out short of the 12 1/2" square, you will need to add a border and trim it to the the measurement.

17. You may choose whatever block pattern you want to do depending on your skill level and time. This way, those who are newbie quilters can do an easier block and the more advanced can do something more challenging. Just be sure and keep your block and fabric with the theme in mind.

18. IMPORTANT: Do NOT cut all your fabric at one time! You should make one or two "test" blocks to determine if your block will, in reality, work with your fabric, your skill level, and your schedule, and time restraints. This is a very important step and many people are having difficulty because they fail to follow this step. They either end up with a more difficult pattern than they have skill level for or time. It only results in frustration or causing the participant to be late with their blocks; which causes hardship on all. Remember that you can't really tell from a pattern what it will be to work with until you actually do it!

19. Please also take into consideration, when choosing the block you will make, that what your situation is today can (and usually will) change drastically between now and when your block is due. When you sign up, you are committed to the swap come what may -- and by the due date! The other participants would be far pleased with a simple block, as opposed to an elaborate one that is either late or never shows up. Please plan your block accordingly with the assumption that life will become busy and time will become short. You will find you will enjoy the swap without the pressure of having to worry about quilt blocks due along with all of life's other obstacles[

edited by Angie and Karen to put the official rules up - in concert with Halohead via PM.
Each rule is in this form especially for the new people and to keep problems from occurring.
Thanks Halo for working with Karen and I.
Angie (8-12-07)

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:dance: Let's get started! I'm in....

1. HaloHead

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you're joining us!

1. HaloHead
2. RedHeadedTricia

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright Angie! I hate shopping - except for fabric!

1. HaloHead
2. RedHeadedTricia
3. AngieM2

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TC - we have you hooked, don't we? :)

Billie in W CO - that'll be fine. I'm glad the timing worked out for you to join us.

1. HaloHead
2. RedHeadedTricia
3. AngieM2
4. TC
5. Billie in W CO

Signup : Aug 11th thru Aug 18th. Mail back deadline : by Oct 6th
Colors : DMC aqua 3766, pink 3713, brown 801, white muslin

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If ya'll only knew how hooked!

I can't do to Walmart without buying something in the fabric department. I have completely taken over two closets with "stuff" My husband now understands the rules of each swap, what "blocks" means, floss colors means, he understands my agony of trying to decide if I'm doing "Elvis" or "saddle shoes" He now understands that one week prior to the deadline, I will actually put tell people that I am indisposed.

Believe me he is thrilled to death with you guys for teaching me!!! LOL (that's a joke) :p

My daughter (16), I got her hooked too :) , is doing her first square with Melissa's swap, and she wants to do this one. But I told her to wait, because I'm not sure ,with school and all, she should sign up. Maybe next time. I am so proud of her square, it is awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
add me in as well and if permissable at this point dd Samantha

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, adding Isulenes. Thanks for joining us! :)

Pauline, I've added your name to the list and your dd's. Happy to have you join us! :)
I know you are an old hand at these swaps, but for the newbies the official rule is in Angie's post, 2. Thanks Angie! :)
I think I failed to post the 1 month posting limit, I'll go back and correct that.

1. HaloHead
2. RedHeadedTricia
3. AngieM2
4. TC
5. Billie in W CO
6. Pauline
7. Samantha ( Pauline's dd)

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Well, I was searching in Hancock Fabrics when the blackout happened at 4:30pm on Saturday. A major road and an adjacent major road - didn't find anything 50's in the colors...

Then I came home, power back on, and went into the FABRIC ROOM..... poked around and found me 2 yards of a pink print that's cute and will work, and 3 yards of a blue... found my skeins of embroidery floss I bought earlier - almost and exact match. So, and I have some white muslin around somewhere in the sewing room....I think I'm set. Still considering patterns.

Did anyone else make any headway.?

Angie

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol My dh says I should always shop at home first - but looking for fabric is the only kind of shopping I enjoy!

Glad you found something to work. :)

Halo

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Karen and Angie for reworking the rules post - its much easier to read now!

And who put the actual floss colors on the post? That's cool! Thanks!

Halo

·
Registered
140 Posts
HaloHead said:
Okay, adding Isulenes. Thanks for joining us! :)

Pauline, I've added your name to the list and your dd's. Happy to have you join us! :)
I know you are an old hand at these swaps, but for the newbies the official rule is in Angie's post, 2. Thanks Angie! :)
I think I failed to post the 1 month posting limit, I'll go back and correct that.

1. HaloHead
2. RedHeadedTricia
3. AngieM2
4. TC
5. Billie in W CO
6. Pauline
7. Samantha ( Pauline's dd)

I think maybe you forgot to type my name in the numbered list and if the length of the last swap thread is any indication, I might very well get lost in the shuffle (so to speak) if I don't get on that list. Although things might be less stressful that way, I really am looking forward to participating.

~Lisa~

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh my, I did, didn't I? Let me fix that now. I'm sorry Lisa.

1. HaloHead
2. RedHeadedTricia
3. AngieM2
4. TC
5. Billie in W CO
6. Isulenes
7. Pauline
8. Samantha ( Pauline's dd)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
If the list stays short, are we doing double or just doing a few squares. I like the colors, but am currently working on 2 quilts and don't want to do a big swap.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.