Fall pruning grapes and rasberries

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by brownthumb, Oct 17, 2006.

1. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

Is this a good time to cut back on the grapes and berries? Should the berries be pruned if I want to extend my patch?

2. jross

jross swamper

I prune grapes and blueberries anywhere between January and March in New Jersey.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

You can prune out the raspberry canes that fruited this year, if they are July bearers. They fruit on two year canes.
    If they are fall bearers, those that fruited on the tips this season will put out a summer crop lower on the can next season and then you prune those canes out.
    Blueberries don't need pruning for about 5 years after you plant them. Then take out the oldest 2-3 stems each season to stimulate new stems which produce more fruit.
    I'd wait on grapes until they are fully dormant. Grapes do best with major pruning...leaving maybe 10-15 buds on four canes only. Those buds expand into long canes with many fruit clusters on them.
    Ann

4. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Correct, wait until the vine is dormant. Should train along two wires, prune so you have four branches, upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right. Leave a short piece next to each of those four branches that will become next years new branches. After the branch has produced grapes (second year) cut it off. Those new four branches will produce the next crop of grapes. Side notes, grape cuttings are easy to get to root to create new vines. Prune apple trees in late winter.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Grapes are one of the few fruits that you can prune in late spring, even as they start to grow. We usually prune our raspberries (spring fruiting varieties) in the early fall to remove the canes that fruited during the summer, and then remove winter damaged ones, if any, in the spring. I like to do most pruning late in winter or early in the spring after any damage due to cold winter weather has become apparent. If you prune too early, there is always the possibility of losing some of what is left to late winter damage (at least around here!). I'm in western Wisconsin, cold side of zone 4.

7. arbutus

arbutus Well-Known Member

I had heard to prune raspberries in the spring after the heavy snows were done but before the plant broke dormancy because the older canes help protect the younger canes from breaking under the weight of snow.

8. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Grape pruning is done in the winter. In Missouri where I am, that's late December through middle February.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

everbearing raspberries can be mowed down completely to regrow for a fall crop the next year.