Fall Planting-Garlic in Zone 5?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by IndyGardenGal, Jun 24, 2009.

1. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal Crazy Goat Lady Supporter

When should I plant my garlic in zone 5. This will be my first year, and I haven't been in central Indiana in several years, so I can't be sure what the first frost/freeze dates generally are.

Thanks!

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Last spring frost is usually around May 15 to 20. First autumn frost is somewhere around October 1 to 10. Your exact frost dates are subject to many different elements but those are the general dates.

3. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal Crazy Goat Lady Supporter

How many weeks before frost should I plant?

4. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

5. kbshorts

kbshorts Well-Known Member

I usually try to get it in around Columbus day here. Anytime before the ground is frozen solid will work.

Keith

6. kjmatson

kjmatson Well-Known Member

Generally, I am in zone 5a, you want to get them in the ground between the 1st of October and Columbus Day. Good luck, they are delicious!!!

7. goatsareus

goatsareus Well-Known Member

we don't pay attention to last freeze times when planting garlic..we plant from mid to late October and as late as mid November....yes, just anytime before the ground freezes the top few inches

8. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

Garlic can be planted any time in the fall. The important thing is not to wait until the ground is frozen. I try to get mine in during October. The garden is all cleaned up by then and it is easier to plant.
    Linda

9. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

I'm in zone 5, southwestern Ontario. I planted my garlic last fall on Sept 30th. This was my first year planting garlic in a long time, so I may have jumped the gun a little bit. Still, it is growing very well.

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

11. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I plant mine in October and it does fine. My brother didn't get his in the ground until early November and it did fine, too.

12. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

We are in zone 3b - 4a (although with the drought we've had quite a few zone 5 winters), and we aim to plant our garlic the first week of October. We have also planted during the last half of September -- and there are those around here who still do -- but we find better growth and survival if we wait until October.

Martin has said he's planted garlic when the ground had a frozen crust on it (still thawed below) and it's done fine. Too cold for us to wait that long!