Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Boy I sure hope so. Cause I do it every year. Just planted another couple of rows of late Silver Queen corn, green beans, taters, yellow squash, and turnips. Going to get a few rows of english peas planted this week. Will be setting out broccoli plants and collard plants in a few weeks. My brocolli grows all winter here, and taste better after it has had a frost on it. Also getting the new carrot bed ready now. Carrots also grow all winter down here. I just cover them if it is going to be a hard freeze.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Hillbilly Don said:
can you grow spring crops in the fall? :confused:
depends on where you live. the poster above lives in AL, which has a longer growing season. here in TN we usually plant a second crop of cabbage, greens and such around the first week in Sept. we have around 9 months of growing season. in N. Idaho, there is a roughly 90 day growing season.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Sure,late spinach,lettuce,green onions,green beans..they are around 45 days,cabbage if you can get/start plants....usually an early frost is only one nite and you can cover it up...then plenty more nice fall days for growing. I always plant..what the heck,more years than not I get nice crops. DEE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts