fall gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hillbilly Don, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Hillbilly Don

Hillbilly Don Active Member

can you grow spring crops in the fall? :confused:

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Boy I sure hope so. Cause I do it every year. Just planted another couple of rows of late Silver Queen corn, green beans, taters, yellow squash, and turnips. Going to get a few rows of english peas planted this week. Will be setting out broccoli plants and collard plants in a few weeks. My brocolli grows all winter here, and taste better after it has had a frost on it. Also getting the new carrot bed ready now. Carrots also grow all winter down here. I just cover them if it is going to be a hard freeze.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

depends on where you live. the poster above lives in AL, which has a longer growing season. here in TN we usually plant a second crop of cabbage, greens and such around the first week in Sept. we have around 9 months of growing season. in N. Idaho, there is a roughly 90 day growing season.

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure,late spinach,lettuce,green onions,green beans..they are around 45 days,cabbage if you can get/start plants....usually an early frost is only one nite and you can cover it up...then plenty more nice fall days for growing. I always plant..what the heck,more years than not I get nice crops. DEE