Fall garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jim/se kansas, Aug 8, 2004.

1. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I am going to start planting my fall garden in the morning. I tilled the ground Friday and it worked up nice. I will plant corn and beans.

How about you, are you planting a fall garden and what will you plant?

Be Blessed and have a great day.
    Jim

2. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby and I were just talking about this. We really need to utilize our garden more in the fall. Usually though by the time everything is coming out of the garden (and that garden has been planted, weeded, fertilized, hoed, harvested and canned for months on end), it's apple time and there all that applebutter, apples, apple juice, cider, pie filling, etc. to make. By that time, I'm just about canned and gardened out! Just the thoughts of one more thing to pick or can........whew! :eek: Of course about January, I'm dieing to get in the garden and wishing there was something to put in the canner, so I'm never happy..LOL! :haha:

We will probably be planting beets for a fall harvest. I had intended to do brussel sprouts, but forgot to get the plants started and am sure it's too late now. Oh yes, we will also be planting garlic for a harvesting in the spring. Boy did I have a bumper crop of shallots this year!! I have shallots up the ying yang!!!

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Do a search on 'Fall Vegetable gardening' by YuccaFlatsRanch and you will have all of the the days to maturity information for most veggies to aid in planning your fall garden.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

It hasn't been much of a summer, so my entire garden could be considered a "fall garden" :haha: However, never one to be detered by mother natures intentions, i will be planting another round of carrots, beets, cabbage, parsnips, cauliflower and lettuce for fall. Maybe some peas, too. never grew those before....so much work for so little peas...but DH loves them.