Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got Turnip,Beet,Carrot,and Green Bean Seed today.They said I could put it in the ground any time soon.But I'm worried about it turning off too Hot and should hold off awhile.

What do you think?

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Rocky, I don't have an answer for you, but I am curious too. I am looking at spaces in my garden that I want to put something else into and I am thinking that it has not really gotten that hot yet this year and I worry that if I did put something like what you mentioned in the ground right now it would all roast away! I bet that some of our expert gardners here will know!
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Most vegetable seeds can handle up to 95ºF for germination. That means soil temperature, not air. Some are OK yet up to 105ºF although it's only 85ºF for peas, lettuce, and spinach.

Martin

·
Registered
626 Posts
In addition to what Martin pointed out... the trick with mid year direct seeded plantings is to do much more frequent waterings of the seed bed - everyday during a real dry heat spell if necessary - to ensure that the seedlings stay moist and can germinate. After the seedlings are up and estalished you can relax and get into your normal garden groove again.

I currently have large sections of carrots, beets, and another round of bush beans that I just seeded last weekend. The weather immediately went up to 100 degrees for a few days - but I kept them moist and the beets are already up and the beans are popping through as well.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I just started seeds in my light stands for broccoli and cabbages, onions and brussels sprouts. I don't direct seed these, I am in zone 7 and it is definately too hot for me to put lettuce/beets out now. You might get by with it in zone 6. I wait until mid August to put my fall things out - transplants and seeds, though they tell me that I can go ahead. As the night temps fall, the soil temp falls to, so that is the biggest indicator to me. It can be plenty hot here in Sept - though I target beans to produce by late Sept.

Rockpile, you might get away with it. I always say, 'go ahead and try' (that's usually what gardening is about anyway) Just don't use all your seeds.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm still getting Green beans.I'm thinking of holding off another month.If it turns off cold I can always cover my Root Crops with Straw and they will still grow and be ok.

Plus it gives me time to get my Potatoes out and open up some more room.

big rockpile

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, I'm about to harvest the wild amaranth grain, plus there's a bunch of weeds I need to pull, plus the lettuce is all going to seed so I can put stuff there. I put spinach in one place where a pumpkin plant died. I want to put in beets, carrots, turnips, and about six kinds of frost-tolerant greens. :)

It's hard to think about frost when it's supposed to hit 104 today, but no matter how hot it is now, it cools down fast once Labor Day comes.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I was thinking of trying some collards, kale and swiss chard.... I have never eaten these things but want to start. I have read that a light frost makes them taste better, so I am not sure when to do this. Need to go find a first frost date for my area.... and count backwards from there. What do y'all think? Early winter or late winter this year?
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Debbie i think we are good until at least middle of October.

But I can still get some things out of the Garden into December.

big rockpile

·
Registered
823 Posts
I plan on waiting until about mid August to put my fall stuff in. I am smack in the middle of the pre-global warming zone 6.

galump

1 - 11 of 11 Posts