Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had such a short spring here and didn't get our fill of greens. If I were to plant more spinach and lettuces for fall harvest, would I be beginning to plant now? What do you have to say ?
Jean

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
4-6 weeks before your first fall frost date. Spinach will hold up well in the cold - lettuce (depending on the variety) less well. I think leaf lettuce does better than head lettuce in the cold

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Mustard does good too_Oh and Turnip.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Jean, spinach does marvelously here in Northern NYS (zone 4-5) planted the last week of August. You'll get a tremendous crop in late October that way. It does better as a fall crop than it does as a spring one.

I'm planting bush beans right off and will try some snap peas this year for a late crop, too, as well as the spinach. And garlic, too.

Jennifer

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Plant away - I am about a month behind you. Try some Kohlrabi too. It is like cabbage and handles cool weather very well. Its hardy to about 10 degrees.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Mache, miners lettuce, kohlrabi, pac choi, will all do well with just a row cover or cold frame.

Check out Eliot Coleman's Four-Season Harvest. He gives lots of specific crops that will do well throughout fall and winter with just cold frames and row covers.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
I have a question about the "fall" garden thing.
Mine never seems to do well as the light hours are falling fast in Sept. and that is when the rains pick up. Do you all have this problem?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replys. Yes, I have turnips on the list to plant and the lettuce will be leaf rather then head lettuce. Spinach is a must and I hadn't thought of kohlrabi. We like that too but might be out of seed and the seed packets are all gone around here. Appreciate all of your comments.
Jean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts