Fall Fishing

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by moonwolf, Sep 11, 2006.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Fall Fishing is my favourite time to get out on the water. Boat traffic is low, fishing pressures subsides, and fish are generally hungry in a biting mood and good chance to catch some really nice ones. Walleye in this area I've generally gotten the nice slot sized fish easy enough in fall. I don't care for trophy fishing anything really except I do enjoy a couple of fall outings for hunting trophy muskellenge (or muskie, or musky). That comes as late before freeze up as one dares to be on the water. The uglier the weather, the better the fishing and if it's windy the better if one finds those ciscoes (or tuibee) baitfish those big ones are looking for. usually an imitation in the 12 to 20 inch size baits with a wide profile and lots of noisy action at depths of 25' ft. or more that are trolled work best. Of course some great smallmouth action on warmed reefs in daytime can be a lot of fun catching a few 3 or 4 pounders that way.
    I need to get out more, but even a couple times in the fall it's great fishing.
    Dressing sometimes can be tricky. Snowmobile suits work best if a blizzard is predicted.....that's when I've had the best muskie adventures, but nice days out one can dress to be comfortable, hot coffee..... it makes for a great day outdoors in the fall.

2. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

down here rich the white bass and striper run when the first few weeks of frosty nights.they start lilling these big schools of baitfish.its hard to decide what to do.chase fish or deer.you can use binoculars to watch for the schools of fish breaking surface and run like crazy to them and start casting.cast a hopkind spoon and hold on....lol but i really like the early muzzleloader season.its only a week long.

3. I second what elkhound said. Over here just when the fishing is peaking out so is the rut. The middle of october to the middle of november is the best time of the year to be in the outdoors.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Seems Fall is the best time for Muskellenge or Trout around here.We do alot of Winter Fishing,plus Gigging on the river at night,as a matter of fact Gigging Season opens this weekend.But so does Deer and Turkey Season :shrug: I guess just hunt durring the day,Gig at night.

Went out fishing last night with my Wife.She said she was going to fire me because we didn't catch any fish.I told her it was because a Cold Front had just come through :shrug:

big rockpile

5. jross

jross swamper

This time of year is tough. Fishing is good down the shore, freshwater fishing is good , and bow season has started. I only have one tree stand up so far and haven't even put line on my new salt water reel. :baby04:

6. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Where are you fishing for Muskie in MO?? I'd love to take my dad out, maybe do a guide thing, he'd be thrilled. We fish for Muskies and Walleye in northern Wisconsin but as he gets older its harder to make the trip. B