Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1411046174.607925.jpg

Bought these bulbs in the side if the road a few years ago. I was so surprised that they we're fall crocus. Never new they existed till last year. Does anyone have these little beauties?

Wild Roots Farms Pompey, NY.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Yes, I have some but the darn squirrels love the bulbs unfortunately. They are a bright spot in the Fall!

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
no I don't but sure wish I did. I've never seen them for sale around here. i'll have to order some. some of the companies I find don't ship to Canada. (I tried to buy Hyacinths a couple weeks ago but no luck. I found some here but not the color I wanted) as Vickie mentioned I would like the saffron bulbs. so do you plant those in the fall for the next fall or spring. got to get me some. ~Georgia.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Fall crocus produce saffron (from the stamens). Is that the kind you have? If so, you are VERY lucky!

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
I thought about getting some saffron crocus. Good to know that squirrels love them, if I get them I'll have to have them in a little cage.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I believe the bulbs are incredibly poisonous, DNA or chromosome changing poisonous. Could be wrong but do be careful if you have kids or pets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You plant fall crocus in the fall and it blooms the same fall. I bought some fall crocus bulbs (saffron and other) and planted them a few weeks ago, and I am excited to see them now starting to come up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts