Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us who live in the northern states are facing the last of our garden harvests and getting ready to put things to bed. So what are your big projects?

In the spring I bought a huge outdoor storage box, 150 gallons IIRC. It was purchased with the intention of storing my unused pots and seed trays. I finally got the area cleared and set it up. I'm thinking I should have bought 2. I've been gathering my empty pots and trays, cleaning them, and putting them in the storage box. I've found plant trays that were AWOL for a year or more and stuff I completely forgot that I had. And I've found stuff that has been scattered all over. (ADHD, I tend to lay stuff down and forget about it, drives dh insane) Hopefully I'll be in great shape come January when it's time to start those spring plants!

My other big project is finding places for all those "too good to be true" bargain plants. At least I know where I'm going to plant the pansies.

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Fall is definately coming here - cooler nights and leaves turning colors or falling off. I wasn't able to do any gardening, yard work etc. this year due to knee problems (need a replacement) and everything went to pot here - it was terrible. :( I just had a friend's brother, who has a lawn/yard business, come with his crew and clean the whole place up. They trimmed trees, pulled weeds, mowed, whacked....you name it - they did it!!! I was so pleased - the best money I ever spent!!! Now I have a clean slate to work on. :)

·
Premium Member
8,354 Posts
Fall is definately coming here - cooler nights and leaves turning colors or falling off. I wasn't able to do any gardening, yard work etc. this year due to knee problems (need a replacement) and everything went to pot here - it was terrible. :( I just had a friend's brother, who has a lawn/yard business, come with his crew and clean the whole place up. They trimmed trees, pulled weeds, mowed, whacked....you name it - they did it!!! I was so pleased - the best money I ever spent!!! Now I have a clean slate to work on. :)
Mine was a failed ankle replacement. Hopefully I will finish up that problem with surgery on Oct 3rd. My kids did most of the garden this year; I paid them with potatoes, tomatoes, onions, green beans, and all sorts of goodies. Looking forward to next Spring....

geo

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
(15) 12 x 3 raised beds need ripped out. I have 3.5 done...then the rain came....
Finish picking raspberries, and cut those babies back hard.
Already tore out 3 huge flower beds. (sunflowers and cosmos)
Cut back my grape vines.
Need to dig up and preserve my horse radish.

Work for days.......I LOVE IT!

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled more pots and some buckets out of the shed today. There were some interesting finds. A small pot full of rabbit fur and a couple young mice in a tote. Had to play whack a mouse because I didn't want them getting in the house. The mice chewed up a whole stack of 3 pack pots and a couple 4 inch pots. Now all that is left is the shelving unit on the east wall and the shed will be cleaned up. Not exactly what I set out to do but it's been needed for months. I might have room in there to keep my miniature roses in their pots over the winter.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Working on improving soil... mulching... getting a cow shed ready for my Jersey girl for winter

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
My large tiller was in the shop all summer so the garden is a mess. It will be like starting all over with pasture next spring....alas. The tiller is home now so maybe it will dry out enough to use it and get things started back into shape. Except for the onions, the garden was almost a total bust this year due to needing/having my knee replaced. I'm doing great but some gardening chores are still not able to be done.

One the bright side, I have to High schoolers coming over a couple days a week to complete their community service (they have to do 40 hours to graduate). They are helping with the farm chores.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts