Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Nice cabbage. I'm picking some, but just getting average size. I'm trying to just pick what we cook and keep an eye on the rest make sure not start to split. I'll grab a few for kraut when they get close.

· Registered
59 Posts
Our cabbage from this past spring was my first attempt. It was so dry and hot I ignored the cabbage expecting it to give up, but still got a few heads. I cut a dishpan full and weighted it in grams and then multiplied by .02 and added that much sea salt. I squeezed the cabbage and salt together and kneaded it until I had a lot of juice, probably about 10 mins total.

I packed cabbage in 1/2 gallon jars using flat end of a wooden rolling pin and poured in juice from the dishpan. I did not have to add any liquid other than what came out of the cabbage. It sat about 2 weeks and then I moved it to a fridge. I just finished some off last week and it still had that fresh squeakiness to it.

It turned out so good it inspired me to do a few more jars of pickles and other vegetables. I used sea salt and boiled tap water that had cooled, so pretty cheap to do. I've got some water boiled and cooling today and will try a version of kimchi using swiss chard and few radishes tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts