Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
School started out very well this year, then crashed. Between sickness, co op classes, weather and life, school has been hit and miss for three weeks. I am frustrated. Today I have two down with a stomach virus and the other three are showing signs that it isn't over. I hate feeling behind.

·
Just happy to be here!
1,123 Posts
After hs-ing for so many years, I have learned that crashes are just part of the deal.

Try not to fret. :)

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
School started out very well this year, then crashed. Between sickness, co op classes, weather and life, school has been hit and miss for three weeks. I am frustrated. Today I have two down with a stomach virus and the other three are showing signs that it isn't over. I hate feeling behind.
I was just thinking about you Cheryl, and wondering how you were. I do understand. We have had a lot of illness since the move. I chalk it up to that the environment is different, so the germs have to be different too.

Just remember that you are only behind if you say so! You get to decide that because you are the planner. So move it. Then you are not "behind". You have just augmented your goals.

I know how you feel about co-op too. I signed up for one that is good for the kids socially, but does not meet a single one of our educational goals! The only reason we are there is that we just moved and our kids need friends. Every time I get ready to go to co-op I cringe. I hate it because it feels like a complete waste of time. But I bite my tongue because the kids come home happy.

I hope you all get to feeling better soon. Give yourself permission to rest. There isn't anything you can do about it anyway. If they are sick, they are sick.

Cindyc.
Cindyc.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
If they were in public school they would be missing school now too. Don't sweat it too much. Life happens. Be glad they are home so you can pick up on what they have missed.

When our schedule hits a bump this is what I do.
I scan ahead and see where lessons might be a bit overly repeating or reviewing. We skip some of that if they have mastered the skill.

Getting out of 'school' mode generates a multitude of problems in itself, so I remind myself while I am getting us all back into sync that the road will be bumpy - expect them to be 'off' and plan something fun to lasso them back in.

Use sick time to catch up on other things that you need (or just want) to do, so those tasks won't nag you when you do get school back in the smooth groove.

Remind yourself that they will eventually 'get' the work they are now missing. In a month, you will have forgotten that you had this off time.

Best wishes and prayers to you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I am currently a teacher asst. in PS in special education and we always feel that we are adjusting our schedules - illness (I work with small groups), assemblies, early outs, field trips, grade reward times. I think I can count on a few fingers the amount of full week class instruction I have taught. Then come Jan. we will start reviewing for the MAP test off and on, once again taking away from more instruction, and then there is the actual MAP test in April. AHHH!
You and your family are in charge of lessons - don't beat yourself up!

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it is strep, & I have it, too. This week is a bust but nothing I can do. When half of your kids are sick & you join them, just keeping everyone going is all I can handle. Next week will be new and we can start again.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Well, it is strep, & I have it, too. This week is a bust but nothing I can do. When half of your kids are sick & you join them, just keeping everyone going is all I can handle. Next week will be new and we can start again.

Thank you all for the encouragement.
Oh Cheryl, I hope you are all better soon!

CIndyc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't post here often, but would like to add that I hope you all are doing better. Strep is no fun and have deal with my fair share of that over the years!

I would also like to say, thank you! I have only been homeschooling for the past two years and I am having problems staying on track this year. I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis this fall and my mind just didn't do well with it. I also had some EXTREME fatigue from it which didn't help. I just keep telling myself, in school they don't normaly work as much as we do during the day anyway, so I'm sure we're still on a normal track...just not where I want to be. It helps but it also helps to see others having the same problem.

Again, I sure hope everyone is getting better. Fluids, fluids, fluids and lots and lots of rest will make it better much faster.

Take care!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts