Fake Bacon!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by michelleIL, Dec 8, 2004.

1. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I just tried some fake baconproduced by morningstar farms and it was really really good!!! I was pleasantly surprised!!! A very nice alternative to pork!!!

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Try the turkey stuff.

3. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I've seen that in the store, but I haven't wanted to buy it....I'm trying to eat more and more veggies...I'm doing it gradually I think. I would love to have the willpower to become a vegetarian. I think it would greatly improve my overall health.
    Probly not the greatest thing to say on a homesteading forum where people probably depend on their livestock for food!
    I've got some egg beaters, which are real egg, but supposedly more healthy....we'll see...I'm hoping they are good....they sound good anyhow!
    Michelle

4. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

The morningstar sausages are even better. They are delicious.

5. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Try their "chicken patties". No one in my family knew they were fake until I told them.

6. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

One of the best fake meat products on the market is by a company called Veat
    www.veat.com
    Try their chicken "bites" - you really can't tell it's not chicken. Even my hardcore carnivore father loves it.

We are mostly vegetarian. I don't personally hunt or raise my own and I object to factory farming. I either buy meat from an organic local source or eat the faux kind.

Try that Moringstar bacon in quiche lorraine or on a BLT - you can't tell it's not from a piggy. The other nice thing is how easy it is to clean up - no greasy pans.

7. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree that MorningStar Farms sausage patties are delicious. I like some of the Boca products, too. Some of the meatless "meatballs" are very good, too. Bottom line is no cholesterol!

8. deedler

deedler Well-Known Member

I agree with the turkey bacon and it's much cheaper. BUT... have you tried any of the soy chorizo? I pretty much have grown up with Tex-Mex and the fake
    eggs(Egg Beaters) and soy chorizo are sooooo good. If you're really trying
    to be healthy, plop a big dollop of plain yogurt on top. I swear, you won't believe your mouth.

9. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I switched to soy chorizo after reading the label on a real chorizo - the first ingredient was pig hearts and the second was lard - yuk!

10. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

OK... I will have to try the MorningStar bacon again. I tried it a couple of years ago and it was most assuredly not bacon like in any respect. They must have changed the product somehow. I eat the turkey bacon, as I cannot eat red meat anymore (Gall Bladder problem) and enjoy it, but real bacon is the only red meat that I miss. Well, that and my mothers pork chops.

Shane

11. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We just bought a case of Morningstar "Strips" and shared a case of chicken with our friends. We have "bacon" BLT sandwhichs - like them a lot. The chicken is Great - like a breaded chicken or pork pattie.

We went to the Seventh Day Adventist "Book mobile" that comes to our area every so often.

We are not Seventh Day Adventist, and they have great vegetarian products - and lots of them.

Alex

12. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

For real zing, get the Boca Spicy Chicken Patty. Whooo...spicy!

13. southerngurl

I think those meat fakes are so processed, they aren't even good for you any more. :(

14. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

It's certainly better that eating straight fat!

15. southerngurl

There's nothing wrong with fat, you have to have it to live. However you don't need to much, or hydrogenated oils.

16. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

You might want to check for MSG-Monosodium Glutamate
    It will make even the most disgusting things seem good-it's like a drug added to foods! I avoid it! You gotta be careful with fake anything-good, natural fats are okay in reasonable amounts, fake fats and the like such as hydrogenated fats are BAD for you! VERY bad! I avoid those too............

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I think if people would look back and see what their great great grandparents ate and try that, they might be better off. My grandparents all ate stuff that the medical establishment today would tell you is hideously unhealthy and they lived until ripe old ages and were rarely sick. They were farmers who ate lots of meats, fat and supposedly unhealthy fare.

I also think all of the non-natural hydrogenated garbage are worse than any natural fats. I tried some non-cholesterol "butter" stuff (promise?) that a friend had been eating and was horrified. He was spreading this foul laboratory concoction on store bought bread (and I use the term bread loosely) whose ingredients were pretty foreign to what I think of as bread. If something tastes that godawful your body is probably trying to tell you it shouldn't be consumed. Reminds me of a cookout I went to where we were all treated to veggie burgers and some sort of soy hot dogs. I was polite of course and ate what was served but was it ever hard to choke down. Lost of mustard helped. I smiled and told the host and hostess everything was delightful but graciously declined seconds. I've been served dog before and it was far more palatable that what was served that day.

18. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Turkey bacon tastes like shoe leather :(

Ed

19. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

20. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Canadian Bacon, or as it's also called 'Back Bacon' is lean and very tasty and you pretty well know what your getting by buying meat bacon that is basically a 'natural' product over millenium.
    I've tried some of the bacon substitutes which to me taste awful for the most part. I dont' see the point of overly processing soybean meal for constant human consumpiton, but that's just my opinion and being a committed omnivore. Good activity and normal health metabolizes good fats, including animal fats.
    I'm also concerned about the synthetic flavorings and preservatives mixed in the fake bacon and other fake meat products. Quite expensive I would also believe when comparing pound for pound to the real bacon. One brand of 'turkey' bacon tried some time ago wasn't bad, but it also fried up dry to a texture of paper towels that wasn't very appetizing. Left a very dry thirst, so it might have been overly laced with stuff like MSG. Don't need that.