Fairfax Strawberries

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tom McLaughlin, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Anyone know where Fairfax Strawberries can be purchased. Already tried the gardening forum with no luck. Any info would be appreciated. Tom

2. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

You can check this out. Looks like this is a very old type 1930 ??
    http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex/2003-February/002563.html
    Hope this is of some help. Could I ask why you are trying to grow such an old variety?? Hope you don't mind me asking.

3. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Don't mind you asking at all and thank you for the info. I want to change varieties this spring and my wife asked about the really, really good tasting berries we use to have when we first got married(1971). After some research discovered they were Fairfax. The plants were given to me by a friend who got them from his grandfather. It might be just longing for the past but as I remember they were excellent tasting berries. Again, Thanks for the the info, Tom

4. sbeerman

Let me know if you get some from them? Looks like a lot of hoops to jump through. LOL If I can help you in any way let me know. If it's not to much trouble I might see if I can get some seed and try and start some.Sounds like there still a lot of people who liked them.

5. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

I'll let ya know if I find any and if you have any luck with finding seed I'd appreciate the info. Tom

6. For those who remember Ruth Stout's books and articles on gardening: she swore Fairfax was the very best tasting strawberry ever. It is not as disease resistant as the newer strains, and does not ship well. Have been looking for a source myself, as had it once and it was very, very good.

7. sbeerman

Well I found this one. Sparkle . They say it's a cross with the Fairfax. I've never grown these and am send you the nurserys web page, This is what they say about the "Sparkle"
    Sparkle--(Fairfax x Aberdeon)--Home gardeners take note! This is the BEST variety for homemade jam and freezing. Its winter hardiness and late blooming characteristics make it ideal for home gardens and small commercial farms without frost protection. The soft, medium-sized berry falls off to small as the season progresses. But, these berries are the tastiest, smooth textured berries you can find. Sparkle has been grown for years in the Midwest, but has lost favor with commercial growers because of its small berry size and soft fruit. But, it is still a long-standing favorite with home gardeners, who still actively plant it because it's the BEST you can grow for making preserves.

Think I order some. I've been growing Tristar everberring and boy are they good. I don't have one complant about them but you all have me curious about the Fairfax.
    Sandie Zone 5
    http://www.inberry.com/main.html

Looks like they have several Fairfax X'S

8. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

Actually, I've read in several places that Fairfax was *more* disease resistant than Sparkle! I asked the same question a few years ago, was given the name of a nursery in VA, only to find out that they'd just stopped carrying them.

I'd give my right arm for a few plants too, so if you find a source, please, please let us know! Not only Ruth Stout, but Laura Simon, Nathan Griffith and other garden writers all say that Fairfax is by far the best tasting of all varieties.

I don't own a copy, but the best place to look would be the SSE "Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory." Anyone got a copy?

Sharon

9. waltseed

waltseed Member

"I'll let ya know if I find any and if you have any luck with finding seed I'd appreciate the info. Tom "

Tom, Very few strawberries come true from seeds. Certainly not Fairfax. You'll need a runner or plant to get started.
    Maybe you knew that and just used the wrong word. Happens.

10. Brian        N.E Ohio

Brian N.E Ohio Well-Known Member

Hello Sharon in N.Y., Do you remember the name of the nursery in VA? I wonder if we all sent emails asking for Fairfax if they could be persuaded to carry them again. Hmmmmmmm.

Wherever there is a demand there will be someone who will try to fill it!

11. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

You'll need a runner or plant to get started.
    Maybe you knew that and just used the wrong word. Happens.[/QUOTE]
    Hi, 97% knowing but I have grown strawberries from seed Alpine( I think). After reading some of the replies held out hope someone might have the other 3% and surprise me. It looks like it could be a lost variety. Maybe Sharon from NY and Brian from Ohio can get a "Bring Back The Fairfax" deal going. I'll sure sign up!!! Thanks to all of you for the help, Tom