Fair question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Aug 11, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

At your fair when they have different breeds in one day, how is it done? As in, say there is Ayshire, and Holstein shown on X day, well do they show for example ayshire senior heifer class, then show the holstein senior heifer class before moving on? Or do they stick the different breeds in the same ring together? I would think they would do the class mentioned in two installments, that being ayshire, then holstein. Because it would get confusing having two different breeds in the same ring.

Jeff

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

At our county fair they do Holstein, then Brown Swiis, then Jersey (I believe) for each class. Each breed is brought into the ring separately and shown, then taken out. This gives the people in the next class time to go back to the dairy barn and retrieve their next entries, if they aren't outside waiting already. There is only one Brown Swiss farm and they generally only show one or two in 4-H so it isn't every class. usually we are simply taking turns with the Holsteins.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

K, thats what I thought, and it makes sence and I am sure this is done at most fairs (unless the ring is huge, fair is huge and two judges are present :)). The reason why I was wondering, was because when 3 of ours go into the ring, no one can run to get the next one up. I hope the classes are of equal size during the show, will give you a little breather between classes :).

Jeff

4. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Here at our county fair, we do by age class, and then by breed: Brown Swiss, Holstein, Jersey, Milking Shorthorn. There are about 20 exhibitors who aren't showing Holsteins (mainly Jerseys) so those classes are small. They do, for example, jr. champion Swiss, jr. champion Holstein, jr. champion Jersey and then jr. champion all breeds. Then on to the milking and dry cow classes by breed, sr. champion by breed and all breeds and then grand champion.

I have seen county fairs that did entire breeds in order, and then had the champion classes last, which makes it a pain if there's 3 hours plus between when you showed a class and are called out again for champion class, all breeds.

Understand that your constrained by when your current heifers were born, but unless you have two real fancy heifers in the same age group, doesn't pay to enter multiples in the same age class. One problem, is, as you noted, the manpower to have 2-3 in the ring and then have the others ready. I've swapped halters on the fly more than a few times.

Good luck.