Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a two year old Jersey with a week old Shorthorn bull calf for $650.00

She's very gentle but has never been milked by hand before. She also has one blind quarter. The shorthorn calf was thrown in because I was hesitant on getting another milker so he thought I could keep the calf on her to take most of the milk.

I do like the idea of another milk cow I currently have a Jersey Holstein cross that gives enough milk for the animals and all the kids but I am wanting to start making cheese as well and the thought of the shorthorn for either beef or a future breed bull doesn't sound bad either.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Why does he want to sell her? Because of the blind quarter? I'd say that $650 was a steal for a Jersey cow - and to get a calf on top of it!

Envy sets in...

-Sarah
(who can't afford even that much right now...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He wants to sell her because of the blind quarter. He owns a dairy and she's too slow in the parlor so he wants to move her.

Uncle will, I think you're right about the calf as well. I guess I'll pick them up this weekend. I've never owned a shorthorn before so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just sold a part Jersey cow and calf for $800.00 2 weeks ago. Sounds to me that you have a good deal.
Jim

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I'm assuming this isn't her calf, but one that's being thrown in to "sweeten the pot"?

I'd say it's a great deal, as long as she'll accept the calf! I think most cows will get with the program ... my Holstein took to her foster calf after a couple days. Still, if she didn't for some reason, and you ended up having to bottle-feed the calf with milk replacer,,,,,,.

If she's been parlor-milked, she should make the transition to hand-milking without much trouble. I say go for it, and good luck! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK am I a sucker or what. I took a day off and went to pick the pair up. So far so good right? Well there she was, a beautiful Jersey with this sweet little bull just a nursing away on her, and this little shorthorn heifer in the next pen. So for a grand total of $850.00 I am now the proud owner of a Jersey milk cow and 2 shorthorn calves. I still think I came out ok on the deal. So what the heck.

So now I have to make sure that she can handle both calves, which she seems to be doing just fine with so far.

Thank goodness my wife puts up with me. :rolleyes: She just loves them......

Wish us luck

Jim

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
Shorthorns are a good dual purpose breed for a homestead, they give good milk and make good beef. Im jealous, Id love to have a shorthorn :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update.

Willow _Girl, You were right. She took to hand milking with no problems at all. She is so gentle and patient. The wife named her Millie, I think we really lucked out with this deal.

Now another question about the calves. Should I just hand milk her and put them on bottles or alternate them on her? I'm thinking if I bottle feed them it will be a lot easier on her. Any thoughts?

Thanks again
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts