Fair price for Jersey Milk cow with calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jim in MO, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

I have the chance to buy a two year old Jersey with a week old Shorthorn bull calf for $650.00

She's very gentle but has never been milked by hand before. She also has one blind quarter. The shorthorn calf was thrown in because I was hesitant on getting another milker so he thought I could keep the calf on her to take most of the milk.

I do like the idea of another milk cow I currently have a Jersey Holstein cross that gives enough milk for the animals and all the kids but I am wanting to start making cheese as well and the thought of the shorthorn for either beef or a future breed bull doesn't sound bad either.

Any thoughts?

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Why does he want to sell her? Because of the blind quarter? I'd say that $650 was a steal for a Jersey cow - and to get a calf on top of it!

Envy sets in...

-Sarah
    (who can't afford even that much right now...)

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you let the calf suck till Christmas, he should be worth about as much as the cow costs.

4. Jim in MO

He wants to sell her because of the blind quarter. He owns a dairy and she's too slow in the parlor so he wants to move her.

Uncle will, I think you're right about the calf as well. I guess I'll pick them up this weekend. I've never owned a shorthorn before so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

5. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I just sold a part Jersey cow and calf for $800.00 2 weeks ago. Sounds to me that you have a good deal.
    Jim

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I'm assuming this isn't her calf, but one that's being thrown in to "sweeten the pot"?

I'd say it's a great deal, as long as she'll accept the calf! I think most cows will get with the program ... my Holstein took to her foster calf after a couple days. Still, if she didn't for some reason, and you ended up having to bottle-feed the calf with milk replacer,,,,,,.

If she's been parlor-milked, she should make the transition to hand-milking without much trouble. I say go for it, and good luck! :)

7. Jim in MO

OK am I a sucker or what. I took a day off and went to pick the pair up. So far so good right? Well there she was, a beautiful Jersey with this sweet little bull just a nursing away on her, and this little shorthorn heifer in the next pen. So for a grand total of $850.00 I am now the proud owner of a Jersey milk cow and 2 shorthorn calves. I still think I came out ok on the deal. So what the heck.

So now I have to make sure that she can handle both calves, which she seems to be doing just fine with so far.

Thank goodness my wife puts up with me. :rolleyes: She just loves them......

Wish us luck

Jim

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

LOL, well, now you are raising beef AND dairy cattle! That's all! :)

9. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Shorthorns are a good dual purpose breed for a homestead, they give good milk and make good beef. Im jealous, Id love to have a shorthorn :)

10. Jim in MO

Just a quick update.

Willow _Girl, You were right. She took to hand milking with no problems at all. She is so gentle and patient. The wife named her Millie, I think we really lucked out with this deal.

Now another question about the calves. Should I just hand milk her and put them on bottles or alternate them on her? I'm thinking if I bottle feed them it will be a lot easier on her. Any thoughts?

Thanks again
    Jim