fair price for brush goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by marvella, Nov 22, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

a guy came by and offered to buy any goats i was willing to sell. all goats are kept as brush goats only. i have two just weaned pygmy wethers i priced at $10 each, (with $15 to $20 being about the going price if kept for pets.)

i also am willing to part with another 2 year old wether and his twin, the buck i want to trade in for a new one (just because the blood line is about to run a little too thin.)the buck is well proven with all does giving birth to twins both seasons. they are nubian x pygmy, well fed, wormed and healthy. (thanks to all for good advice!!)

what would be a fair price for these two fellas?

the guy that buys them will probably keep them then sell at auction when the price is right. i don't have time, energy or equipment to take them to market myself, so even tho he benefits, it's doing me a favor. the intact buck i'd either have to haul in to the vet, or wait until he was here for a farm call anyway. it would also be nice to have at least a little in-come from this place instead of all out-go. :help:

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have mutt goats and when we took two to the auction we got $22.5 each, which was REALLY cheap, that's what happens in auctions. With our mutts, we have boers too, but we don't even know what kind of blood is in our mutts. Ours were bucklings though, 6 months old, but pretty wild. I don't know what you should ask for them, just figured I'd tell you what we got, maybe that'll help out a bit. Good Luck. bye.

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

way to cheep! You should charge more for them. You value what you pay for. I wouldn't sell a goat to someone who thought they were only worth 10-20 dollars!

Have these goats been wormed? how friendly are they? does the person interested in buying know how to care for goats? (hoof trimming, worming, proper diet-yes they need more then brows).

I am not a big breeder who tests for CL or CAE or is big on the money end but I am careful who I sell any goat to, that they know that goats do not live off tin cans and sweaters!!!!!

4. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

Hi Marvella,Before we would sell any goat for ten dollars it would be hanging on a hook in the cooler or roasting on the spit.I have found that pygmy goats,fat and in good flesh,produce an excellant carcass.Goats are easy to slaughter and dress at home,and I would consider this as an alternative to less than market value sales.Please email me if I can be of assistance to you in this area.Best of luck.Regards,John.

5. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Here in W.wa Wethers(registered with the NPGA)sell for 75-100. Unreg maybe 50-75. if they are healthy and have good conformation. Wethers make great pets, companions, brush eaters and showmanship animals.

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

as a rule of thumb I sell all wethers or "pet" goats at $75 period and $95 if bottle raised. This is as day olds up to 3 month olds (any older and the price goes up). This SHOULD cover the time and food I put into their mom during pregnency and any care the kid needs until sold. I would NOT sell those kids for that little of amount. Mine are in good health, wormed, hooves trimmed, and in good flesh from nice parents. No faults or "problems" but still even $50 is a good price for your fellows. I personally wouldn't buy a goat for $10 only because it seems as if the person is trying to hide something by pricing so low IMHO.

MC

7. marvella

i was the one that priced them at $10. $15- 20 is the going price locally for goats used as pets. i was going to have to haul them 30 miles to town to get that price, so if the guy comes here, catches them himself and hauls them off, to me ten bucks sounds fair.

please remember we are in appalachia. there is no viable pedigreed goat market. i just have extra that i want to get rid of, and this guy is willing to come and get them and pay me for them. other alternative is to sell to the migrant workers for meat because they'll come and get them too.

so, 50 each for the 2 year old wether and buck? or is there a difference in price if he is intact?

8. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We're in the Appalachian foothills, and $40 goats are most common. That can be for a brush goat, nice Nubian whether, or double teated Nubian doe. Good young purebred does generally go for about $75 unless you are buying from folks who are active in showing.

Lynda

9. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in our part of rural northwest Missouri the going rate is $35, give or take $5. At the auction you can get more in the spring because they take them by the truck-load to the eastern states where they are most likely butchered.

10. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

Hi Marvella,I have sent you a PM.Regards,John.

11. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

We get $1.50 per pound live weight here...I'd weigh em and see what that averages out to be, even if they're going for pets.

12. marvella

well, thanks to all!! i sold them this morning, ten each for the little wethers and 40 each for the 2 year olds.

it's bittersweet. i hate to see them go, but it sure feels nice to actually have some income for all this fuss and expense.

13. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

glad you got a little more for the older ones.